• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux tether

Redoak47*

Has anyone made a tether out of sterling oplux rope? If so what knots did you use or how did you sewn an eye? TIA

Plenty of threads already on Oplux (try the search function), it's been done by many. You probably shouldn't attempt to sew your own eye unless you know excatly what you are doing. As far as knots go for using it strictly as a tether hard to beat the figure eight on a bite.

Plenty of thread already on Oplux, it's been done by many. You probably shouldn't attempt to sew your own eye unless you know excatly what you are doing. As far as knots go for using it strictly as a tether hard to beat the figure eight on a bite.
Thanks! Wish I knew someone that could sewn an eye for me in ohio.

You can buy an Oplux tether with a sewn eye from Wild Edge. There are other options to buy Oplux with a sewn eye as well. Alternative is, you can get a sewn eye on Samson Ultra Tech from treestuff.com. I prefer the ultratech anyway. You will have to call to order it though.

Side note: Samson UltraTech is actually stringer than Oplux, for those that care.

Yes. I did not make a sewn eye, but just tied a double overhand for the end loop. Still much less bulky than the previous 11mm ropes I used.

I ran a distel hitch friction knot on the oplux tether using sterling TRC last season with no issues.

I used the distel hitch because it was much easier to make height adjustments on the fly whereas a prussik bound much too tightly for my liking. You could also used a mechanical ascender like a kong duck (basically a ropeman) if you wanted to ditch the friction knot.

Has anyone made a tether out of sterling oplux rope? If so what knots did you use or how did you sewn an eye? TIA
As others have stated. There are other threads on this. I tied a figure 8 on a bight on both ends, with one being larger to be able to fit the carabiner through it and the other one is smaller and I use it to clip back into my carabiner as a fail safe to the distel hitch. No need for sewn eyes

You can buy an Oplux tether with a sewn eye from Wild Edge. There are other options to buy Oplux with a sewn eye as well. Alternative is, you can get a sewn eye on Samson Ultra Tech from treestuff.com. I prefer the ultratech anyway. You will have to call to order it though.

Side note: Samson UltraTech is actually stringer than Oplux, for those that care.

Though about wildedge but I got 100 feet of oplux, and there are some really big trees that are along a creek in a big thicket I hunt. So figure make my own tether. And bigger lineman rope.

Many threads as has been stated. The knots are small I didn't feel the need for sewn eye. Also can use beal jammy or same rope as the beal for hitch. I'm using distel hitch and tender on mine.

Sewn eye here but not necessary in my opinion.

a5e8aca7fdbcde34d261851eaa18c365.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many threads as has been stated. The knots are small I didn't feel the need for sewn eye. Also can use beal jammy or same rope as the beal for hitch. I'm using distel hitch and tender on mine.

What he said.

I tied a figure eight with a follow through. Overhand on the tag end to keep it from potentially pulling through. Stopper knot on the end. Using a Beal Jammy prussic. Much smaller than my HSS tree strap.

I am trying to figure out how you did that tether hitch..........

After passing the tag end of the tether through the loop you just pass it around the loop one time to lock it in to place.

I’ve found oplux has a tendency to slide when you initially set your tether until you place load on it.

The wrap basically just locks it in to place. There might be an actual name for the wrap but I can’t remember it right now.

Sent from d_mobile

After passing the tag end of the tether through the loop you just pass it around the loop one time to lock it in to place.

I’ve found oplux has a tendency to slide when you initially set your tether until you place load on it.

The wrap basically just locks it in to place. There might be an actual name for the wrap but I can’t remember it right now.

Sent from d_mobile
Thank you. I think i have it. Doesn't look exactly like yours though

Thank you. I think i have it. Doesn't look exactly like yours though

It should when it’s tight, if not then maybe it’s not correct.

-Put your hand through the eye and grab a portion of the tether, pull back through the eye. -Wrap around tree.
-Route end of rope through the new loop you created. Dress knot.

It should when it’s tight, if not then maybe it’s not correct.

-Put your hand through the eye and grab a portion of the tether, pull back through the eye. -Wrap around tree.
-Route end of rope through the new loop you created. Dress knot.

Excellent. Now I've got it!!

Where you located? There's a store in Athens that I buy all my rope rescue/ repelling gear from. Not 100% he does but would be surprised if he dont

Where you located? There's a store in Athens that I buy all my rope rescue/ repelling gear from. Not 100% he does but would be surprised if he dont
I am about an hour from Athens. What's the shop?

Back