• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Over center buckle

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
The over center buckle came in the mail yesterday. I got the one that Dennis posted in the other thread, http://customtiedowns.com/buckle-hardware/overcenter-buckles/

I am still very optimistic that an over center buckle can be used and very helpful to us but I don't think this buckle was the answer. The design was quite different from a lot of the other over center buckles that I found online. It did not come with instructions on how to thread the webbing. I tried threading it in a few different ways but I was never really happy with the results. I tried putting it inline in the strap while using the cam buckle at the end for attachment and also using it at the end for attachment. In all of the other designs they have 2 rods at the base of the latch that you are threading around, but this design is different and doesn't have that and it appears you have to thread it through at the top of the latch. It was only $2.19 for the buckle so it wasn't a huge investment. The buckle seems like it will work for something but the quality is just ok for me, it has a little play in it.

I'm going to do a little more looking around and try one of the other designs. http://www.uscargocontrol.com/2-Over-Center-Buckle?ext=F This is a 1 3/4" buckle but it seems like it is the standard design.

I'm open to any thoughts!

I'm sorry to hear that. I just got back from walmart and they had an over center strap in the boat and fishing department. It was called a gunwhale strap. That strap wasn't what I was looking for. I guess there is different designs to the over center buckle. The strap that I have used (not for a platform but to tie down a boat to a trailer) looked like the one I posted in the other thread. It came with a Lowe fishing boat. This boat was pretty big we'd take it on the great lakes for walleye and salmon, so it's not like a rowboat. Those straps that came on it were no joke! Like I said before if you didn't leave a little slack before you pushed it over it would of bent the bolts in the back of the boat. I'm going to start looking tonight if I see what i'm looking for I'll get it. I'm sorry the strap I posted isn't going to work red.

dennism said:
I'm sorry to hear that. I just got back from walmart and they had an over center strap in the boat and fishing department. It was called a gunwhale strap. That strap wasn't what I was looking for. I guess there is different designs to the over center buckle. The strap that I have used (not for a platform but to tie down a boat to a trailer) looked like the one I posted in the other thread. It came with a Lowe fishing boat. This boat was pretty big we'd take it on the great lakes for walleye and salmon, so it's not like a rowboat. Those straps that came on it were no joke! Like I said before if you didn't leave a little slack before you pushed it over it would of bent the bolts in the back of the boat. I'm going to start looking tonight if I see what i'm looking for I'll get it. I'm sorry the strap I posted isn't going to work red.

No worries on that buckle Dennis. I'll fool around with the one I got some more, but it is different than all the over center's that I have seen. On my dads boat there is an over center buckle that can tighten it down pretty tight too so I am definitely on the same page as you. Earlier I ordered one from the us cargo control site that I posted. I will see how that works. In my search I had found 2 different buckles that I considered ordering, that one and another one. Take a look at the one here http://boxertiedown.com/wholesale/-c-3_19/2-x-1980-lbs-over-center-buckle-p-96, looks just like the one from the iowa whitetail site right? I didn't order that one cause the shipping was ridiculous, 15 bucks for a 5 dollar item. But if thats our best option I'll reconsider.

It looks like it might have the hole for the safety pin though, so if it does you could put a heavy duty kotter pin or something in there.

I've ordered from them too, they are really good. I got a front hitch for my truck and cargo carrier to put my deer on.

I'm not seeing the 1", maybe I'm just missing them.

So let's talk this out for a minute... A 1 3/4" or 2" buckle should work fine for a 1" strap right? Obviously as long as your strap isn't larger than the buckle you would be good...

Just because it looks like most of these buckles are for larger than 1" straps.

The 1" one was on there it had a working load limit of #250. I see what your saying about using a 2" buckle for a 1" strap the only thing that comes to mind is if the strap wasn't thick enough to make enough friction for the buckle to hold. You're right about the safety hold it's showing it in the closed position a cotter pin would work perfect.

I'm waiting to goto work and looking for buckles. I googled "over center buckle to hang stands" and the couple results I seen look promising! I don't have time to look into it further but definitely something to look into tonight.

I hear what you are saying about how it might not get tight enough with the 1" strap. I will have to fool around with it when it gets here. As of right now I'm thinking that black one from boxertiedown might be the best option. It looks just like what API was using. If you go to the accessories page on the API website, it looks like they have stopped using them though, they only have a ratchet strap available.

Yeah I seen that they switched to a ratchet strap. I'm not sure if it's because it's a lot harder to undo a ratchet or if because it wasn't getting it tight enough. I read that the over center would make the stand"rock solid". So of might just be because they were worried that if someone didn't use the safety pin then somehow flipped it open and fell they would sue?

Yea that could be it, the overcenter might be more likely to come loose if it opens up compared to a ratchet strap. Not sure.

I have a couple other over center buckle's on the way to try out. Hopefully they'll be here friday. I haven't had too much luck finding anything to take a look at locally.

Dennis, did you ever get to do any more research?

Not really. Googling over center strap to hang stands didn't turn up as much as I hoped it would. I was going to order one from etrailer but that never happened. Did you order the one that looked most like the one from API?

Yea I ordered that one and the other one I posted because that one had a video showing you how to thread it. Hopefully at least 1 of them will work out! If not at least I will no problems securing things around here...

Dennis... Great news. The over center buckle is definitely going to work! Here is the low down:

I think the one from us cargo control is going to work way better. The way the mechanism is designed, it really moves as you pull the lever and it can tighten down way tighter. I took this one out with me when I went scouting after work today. I hooked onto a couple of trees and I got it to tighten down really tight, better than anything I have ever used (I have not used a ratchet due to noise). Depending on how they set against the tree, a couple of the steps would only shift very very slightly when I shifted my weight from side to side. It didn't really make any noise and I was very happy. The biggest drawback to this buckle is going to be its size and weight. It is probably 6 inches long, 1 3/4 wide and probably weights 3/4 of a pound. Right now I would say that it will be worth it because I don't think the other buckles will compare in how tight they can go. Out of the box there are a few things on this buckle that can clank, but I don't see any problems with doing some customizations with stealth strips or plasti dip to quiet it down.

The other buckle from boxer tie down is a lot lighter, and I like how it is black. It is slightly different than the design of the first buckle that you posted, but it is similar. I did not take that one out because I still wasn't sure of the right way to thread the strap. I finally found the correct way when I got home http://www.allweb.be/catalogus/ocb/ocb_06.jpg and I fooled around with it a little bit with this buckle and the smaller one you posted. I think the drawback to this design is going to be how tight it can go. I will give them a shot outside on a tree again, but due to the design I don't think they will get nearly as tight as the us cargo control buckle.

When I get a chance to get back outside with them I will take some photos or a video and post it. At this time I would be 100% confident to take the us cargo control buckle out and hunt with it. Thanks for the great suggestion! We can continue to tinker with this. Now it is on to figuring out a new option for the strap on steps like we discussed. I'm using the ameristep strap on steps http://cf.mp-cdn.net/4f/b5/2a0110ed6292da735ac7c2c36cb3.jpg but they are out of production and getting way too expensive on ebay so we have to figure something out!

Awesome! I was thinking about wrapping it hockey tape or if possible bicycle tire inertube like you would for a camlock strap on a set of climbing sticks. I'll have to get it in my hands to see what would work best. As far as steps go that is a different story. Every time I goto home depo, hardware stores or anywhere I haven't been able to find anything that could be used as a decent step besides the 3" sch 40 PVC that my current platform is made out of.

IMO these are too bulky but they are very comfortable. My goal is to carry my platform in a pouch hooked to my saddle.

Great job on getting that buckle problem done so quick and not giving up on it after receiving that fist one. I'm very excited!

For the strap I'm just using the one from the ameristeps steps. Here is a pic up the setup. The buckle weighs a bit more than I thought... just weighed it and it comes in at 1 pound 6 ounces... It is definitely too big for the bike tube. Hockey tape would work but I find that hockey tape breaks down and gets really sticky all over. I'm a big fan of plasti dip, and it comes in different colors too so you could use it to take the shine away from this buckle. I will let you know how that works out after I try it.

I will still try the other buckles but for how tight this buckle gets I think the extra weight is worth it. I will also take a look over on strapworks to look at straps to see if there is anything that is better than what comes with the ameristep steps. For the ameristep steps it definitely has to be a 1" strap.

I don't have any great ideas for steps right now but I'll keep thinking and looking as well. Do you have a pic of your current setup? It sounds similar to climbpaws?

We're making progress! :D

Attachments

• over center buckle small rotate.jpg
    over center buckle small rotate.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 634
I'll get a pic up of my platform. It looks just like climb paws I stole their idea. :D I took my son with me to tsc. Looking for an over center or anything I could use for steps. I had a thought about using stuff that I've seen thousands of times and I never made the connection. I'll have to make a drawing and post it on here to see what you think. I think it will work and it will be cheap :D or I should say inexpensive!

I've never used the plastic dip. That's a great idea! How's the finish? Is it slick? Could it be applied to metal steps and be OK to stand on?

Back