• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ozone question

Homebrew454

My son is playing football again this year and his shoulder pads have a terrible odor. Imagine the smell of a pubescent male, sweat, sour kraut, and 3 day old road kill.

The pads are plastic, nylon or polyester, which encases the foam pad. I haven't used my ozone generator on them yet due to concerns it may wreck them then I'm stuck paying for them.

Has anyone tried using ozone on shoulder pads? If not suggestions? I have used mild soap, bleach wipes, and airing them outside. Nothing has worked so far.

I was thinking of trying what I used on my dog she was sprayed by a skunk next (peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish soap).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I used it on my sons soccer cleats & shin pads years ago. The only thing to watch out for is it can wreck the elastic….,..
I'll look at it closer. Might be able to remove all elastic straps.

I'm a long time user of O3 and I believe in it for deodorizing gear. But I doubt O3 is effective if it doesnt penetrate deep into foam where the odor resides. You may want squeeze and manipulate the foam while it's in an O3 environment to kinda "force" the O3 deep into the fibers. It's worth a try.
You can also treat water with O3 and try soaking it into the foam. But O3 is volatile so it won't remain in the water for very long. If you treat the water, use it quickly.
My O3 generator has a hose discharge and a pumice stone on the hose...it's made for treating water so apparently you can treat h2O with O3.

My son is playing football again this year and his shoulder pads have a terrible odor. Imagine the smell of a pubescent male, sweat, sour kraut, and 3 day old road kill.

The pads are plastic, nylon or polyester, which encases the foam pad. I haven't used my ozone generator on them yet due to concerns it may wreck them then I'm stuck paying for them.

Has anyone tried using ozone on shoulder pads? If not suggestions? I have used mild soap, bleach wipes, and airing them outside. Nothing has worked so far.

I was thinking of trying what I used on my dog she was sprayed by a skunk next (peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish soap).

Get you a small drum or a kiddy pool and fill it with warm water and dawn dish soap, set the pads in and let it soak for an hour or two. Rinse it really well and hang it to dry. After practices during the week let it air dry then store it in an airtight tote (they sell these at wal mart and Home Depot, along with a piece of cedar or some charcoal filters from the aquarium isle at wal mart. It’ll absorb the moisture and keep down the growth of bacteria. Than I would repeat the wash process every couple of games. My buddy has 9 kids and 3 of them play football down here in this Florida heat. It was the only thing he could do that would get rid of the odor without messing up the inner foam and elastic straps.

I looked at the pads closer and there isn't any elastic. It is either polyester or nylon webbing used to clasp it on. I think the ozone would work but I'm trying a couple of other options first.

Get you a small drum or a kiddy pool and fill it with warm water and dawn dish soap, set the pads in and let it soak for an hour or two. Rinse it really well and hang it to dry. After practices during the week let it air dry then store it in an airtight tote (they sell these at wal mart and Home Depot, along with a piece of cedar or some charcoal filters from the aquarium isle at wal mart. It’ll absorb the moisture and keep down the growth of bacteria. Than I would repeat the wash process every couple of games. My buddy has 9 kids and 3 of them play football down here in this Florida heat. It was the only thing he could do that would get rid of the odor without messing up the inner foam and elastic straps.
I'll maybe try this out next weekend. It has been so humid out here that I'm concerned it won't dry before he needs it tomorrow.

I'll maybe try this out next weekend. It has been so humid out here that I'm concerned it won't dry before he needs it tomorrow.

Yea it takes a while for them to dry. We hung his kids pads up in his garage and had one of those multi speed box fans blowing on them. Even with that it took about 18 hours for them to dry completely

Back