• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ozone spray bottle

Loopwing

SH Member
So, I just received an email from Scent Loc selling a spray bottle that infuses ozone and my DIY brain kicked in. First has anyone tried this "technology"? Secondly, it shouldn't be that hard to recreate. Any thoughts? Screenshot_20200605-094555~2.png

So, I just received an email from Scent Loc selling a spray bottle that infuses ozone and my DIY brain kicked in. First has anyone tried this "technology"? Secondly, it shouldn't be that hard to recreate. Any thoughts? View attachment 28823

I work in an industry that uses ozone in water (just not in my area of coverage, so I'm only tangentially aware). I think this might actually work if: 1. you use water with low ozone demand (metals and other impurities found in tap water will rob you of ozone), 2. it is used promptly (ozone has a half life of 30 minutes in water), and 3. the concentration of the ozone is enough to have an impact (if the concentration is too low then it is emptying the ocean with a paper cup). However, ozone is one of the strongest oxidizers (maybe the strongest...have to look) which means it is corrosive, potentially dangerous to humans, and degrades plastics and other materials. I haven't read up on the ozone gas creators, but I was always leery of them for that reason, which I would be of this contraption also. It very well might be that an ozone concentration high enough to clean your boots would also eat your boots over time. To test this, I wouldn't be too scientific. I'd probably not wear deodorant and mow the yard in a t shirt to get it stinky and then spray the pits and sniff, to see if it works.

Scentlock seems to have a habit of taking things that are really complex and then (over?) simplifying them. I'm not sure if that is good.

Here's one use of ozone in water.

Last edited:
Thank you. That is great insight and almost makes it not worth it. The half life and then the wear on gear.

Thank you. That is great insight and almost makes it not worth it. The half life and then the wear on gear.

No problem, my free advice there is only worth what you paid.

That's just me spit balling and thinking out loud. It might be the best thing since sliced bread.....but these supposed game changers usually get my spidey sense tingling (also from my job, I know about activated carbon). It just needs to be legitimately tested is all, either in a lab or with some noses.

I use Ozone on all my hunting clothes. I think that stuff works awesome. Is it an end all be all to scent control? No but I think It is worth it in the end. It will eat some plastics but I haven't had any issues with that yet. I doubt I will buy this, but the regular closets and generators from Scentlok do awesome.

Back