• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PA public land hunter

Pilotgunnerdad

New to forum, from south eastern PA, just bought the Tethrd Mantis starter kit and 10 WE steps, the swaider/naider combo looks cool but for now while learning the lineman’s rope and saddle I’m gonna keep it simple. Might pickup a predator platform but gonna try the 2-3 WE steps first. The promising mobility of the saddle has me fired up about hunting again. Just got back into the woods last year after an 8 year break (marriage, mortgage, career and kids). Set a ladder stand on a spot that only turned up a few does, on a side note I also learned that 12-14hr sits are really not my thing. I grew up hunting private farm land with my dad that has since been sold and housing developments cover where my first homemade stand used to set. Last year I spent time scouting and getting permission to hunt properties that ended up being filled with stands and trail cams so this year I am heading into public land. I have been watching public land hunt videos on YouTube and reading everything I can find on public land hunting. Any advice would be appreciated.

I hunt the big woods in the northern part of the state. Most of my success has been hunting in or around young clear cuts. After the cut gets over ten years old most of the mature bucks seem to leave them for the fresh cuts. They are easily seen on a satellite aerial map and most hunters seem to avoid them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been thinking about the big country up north and west, do you go deep and camp or walk in from a parking lot for the day? Also been tossing around getting into bear hunting.

Guess I should’ve posted in the welcome forum missed that dunno if it can be moved

Welcome to the site, bet you’re happy to be in a tree after such a long break!

Yeah, bought a Mathews last year and a ladder stand got dialed in before the season then saw nothing but does from that stand. This year I’m trying to push some deeper beds and setup on the trails close. We’ll see what happens.

I have been thinking about the big country up north and west, do you go deep and camp or walk in from a parking lot for the day? Also been tossing around getting into bear hunting.

We have camp in the middle of the allegheny national forest. So I usually locate fresh clear cuts and nine times out of ten there’s a parking spot within a few miles hike. There’s lots of bear sign this year not sure if it’s from the games releasing nuisance bear or the bumber white oak crop.

check out the Hunting Public and the Hunting Beast on youtube and their podcast. So much to learn out there. They will be able to teach you lessons on scouting your land so you can guess when the best time to strike will be and no longer need all day sits (unless its the rut and you want to still)

I hunt the big woods in the northern part of the state. Most of my success has been hunting in or around young clear cuts. After the cut gets over ten years old most of the mature bucks seem to leave them for the fresh cuts. They are easily seen on a satellite aerial map and most hunters seem to avoid them.

Welcome and I second that! I've hunted the ANF my entire life. When I come upon a <5 year old clear cut next to a <10 year old cut that border mature hardwoods...I'm there! I call it the "Golden Triangle". The deeper in the better. The saddle is a game changer. My set up this year is at least a mile in and I'm wearing the saddle and carrying the WE Stepps in my pack.

Back