• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pack for bigger guy

matt76cmich

This is going to be my first year hunting from a saddle and looking for a pack that will fit my 6'5" frame potentially the best. I've been reading thread after thread post after post, but haven't read anything that fits bigger guys better. Need something big enough to pack in 12 pack of WE steps (climbing/platform), Flex/ropes, all my extra layers for all day sits here in Michigan, lunch/water, and the normal deer hunting stuff, ect...

What what I've gathered from all the reading and help from some PMs some possibilities are:
Horn Hunter Full Curl Combo
Horn Hunter Main Beam
Badlands 2200
Eberlestock X2
Eberlestock Transformer
And any other suggestions

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had the horn Hunter main beam and sold it cause if was big for me. I'm 5'7" so I would assume it would fit you great! I loved everything about pack accept I couldn't adjust it smaller for me.

I'm not sure about the x2 I'm 6'1" and personally I think I was at the max for it transformer is bigger but it's also a ton bigger pack I've had both and sold both. Currently using a condor it's like a molle assault pack that I'm un love with. If I use sticks I strap everything to my f2 frame

With big Cash and a lot of patience, the Bandlands Vario will drop soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got the 2200 and the monster fanny. I use the monster fanny more than anything. Any 1600-1800ci pack will carry your gear. I would practice with the stepps. With a knaider or one step aider 10 steps should put someone your height close to 40’. You may not need to carry 10. I guess the highest thing about the badlands 2200 is the weight of it. It carries great but weighs as much as some 3500 ci packs. It’s tough and fits y’all guys good but is heavy for its capacity.

From what I've been reading I think the Mystery Ranch Popup 28 won't be in the running. It doesn't come in their XL size and from what I can tell I fall in their XL sizing. From one of the torture test videos I watched I started looking into them. The Treehouse pack looks very interesting, anyone have any experience with it?

If you are looking for a pack with a supporting waist strap, the first thing to do is measure your torso.

https://www.google.com/search?q=me...j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Once you do that, you will have the measurement for purchasing a pack that can be adjusted to fit you.

If only planning on using shoulder straps, then torso measurement is not important, and any pack that fits your shoulders would do.

I would recommend measuring your torso and looking at high end pack frame, e.g., stone glacier, kifaru, etc., that will fit it. Then find what you like and get the bag options you like for bags.

I, like many others, have spent much $ on multiple bags and cheaper pack frames that could have been better spent on buying a high quality setup.

Good luck in your search.

If you are looking for a pack with a supporting waist strap, the first thing to do is measure your torso.

https://www.google.com/search?q=me...j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Once you do that, you will have the measurement for purchasing a pack that can be adjusted to fit you.

If only planning on using shoulder straps, then torso measurement is not important, and any pack that fits your shoulders would do.

I would recommend measuring your torso and looking at high end pack frame, e.g., stone glacier, kifaru, etc., that will fit it. Then find what you like and get the bag options you like for bags.

I, like many others, have spent much $ on multiple bags and cheaper pack frames that could have been better spent on buying a high quality setup.

Good luck in your search.
Completely agree on taking the time to buy a nicer "high end" pack vs buying multiple other packs that will likely end up costing more in the end. Starting to wise up a little as I get a little older (I still like to think 37 is really young lol)

This is going to be my first year hunting from a saddle and looking for a pack that will fit my 6'5" frame potentially the best. I've been reading thread after thread post after post, but haven't read anything that fits bigger guys better. Need something big enough to pack in 12 pack of WE steps (climbing/platform), Flex/ropes, all my extra layers for all day sits here in Michigan, lunch/water, and the normal deer hunting stuff, ect...

What what I've gathered from all the reading and help from some PMs some possibilities are:
Horn Hunter Full Curl Combo
Horn Hunter Main Beam
Badlands 2200
Eberlestock X2
Eberlestock Transformer
And any other suggestions

I have bought several packs. I use a tenzing 4000. I use a 16 pack of stepps and kestrel. I put my kestrel and stepps in meat packwith plenty of room for winter clothes. You still got the main compartment to carry clothes in to. I have used this for 2 seasons and has worked well. I like to carry everything inside of pack.

From what I've been reading I think the Mystery Ranch Popup 28 won't be in the running. It doesn't come in their XL size and from what I can tell I fall in their XL sizing. From one of the torture test videos I watched I started looking into them. The Treehouse pack looks very interesting, anyone have any experience with it?

It's roomy but does not handle loads well. There is no frame and it is very saggy under load. It's more of a layer hauling / tree accessories pack.

6'5" here as well. Got the mystery ranch mule in XL last year and really like it. Overload shelf is fast and simple to get to, should leave you plenty of room for layers and wild edge steps.

6'5" here as well. Got the mystery ranch mule in XL last year and really like it. Overload shelf is fast and simple to get to, should leave you plenty of room for layers and wild edge steps.
I'm a 40 waist and worried the XL won't work, but I am dropping weight. Should I be worried?

The Kifaru Hooligan has been catching my eye too. Anyone have any experience with it?

Im the same size as you and am about to pull the plug on the Eberlestock Transformer. I already have the F1 mainframe, some batwings, and the spike duffel. Figured the transformer would be a good multipurpose option to use standalone for whitetail hunts or to use in conjunction the my mainframe for western hunts. Im hoping I can fit attack my sticks and platform to the pack with all the strap options. The pack is a little larger than I need for whitetail hunts, but I will get multiple uses out of it this way. Love all of my Eberlestock stuff, and it fits my large frame well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 6’6” & have the treehouse & love it from what you’re talking about carrying it would definitely work. Look for a deal on one & try it. It’s bigger than it looks in pictures but not western frame pack big. I like how it handles my gear in the tree.

The Kifaru Hooligan has been catching my eye too. Anyone have any experience with it?

I'm 6'4" with a 40" waist and run an XL MR Guide Lite frame with the Mule and Pintler bags. The packs have been great and the frame is the most comfortable I have found so far.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

@Bigterp What size is your Treehouse. I am only finding S/M but need a L/XL for both torso and waist lengths. I might get close on the torso length with the max adjustment but not sure the waist would fit. Also not sure about the the overall fit being at all the max adjustments for overall feel. Thanks!

L/xl , MR will do a waist belt extension free of charge you just have warranty/customer service. I do feel like my popup extends slightly longer torso wise ( but really no difference)

Back