• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pack frame?

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Saw that super snazzy pack board that @Squirrels made up, and was wondering if anybody else used something similar?

I just need something to strap a set of sticks to. Pretty much everything else I carry can be stashed in pockets, or strapped to the board. Although, the little pouch he has on his looks sweet...

Anybody use the Eberlestock mainframe? Or I'm open to suggestions.

I've been thinkin about taking a surplus molle II frame and shoulder straps as a base since they're cheap and plentiful. I already have one but my son stole it as his main travel bag.
I'd put most of my time into sewing up a denim or cordura DIY cargo-panel on it, like Kifaru. Except I don't need as much molle webbing/side tabs.
I would want to load a 50 sandbag in it and see how it carries. If it sucks (I suspect it will*) I might play with using an aluminum tent pole repair kit to build & mount a foldable extension system like the Popup backpacks have. The repair kit comes with enough pole lengths and shock cord to build two backpack extenders and can be cut to need. Just need to sew up some heavy duty "pockets" to hold the bottom of the poles and attach to the bottom of the frame, and a strap to cinch them tight against the top of the frame - then a cap/buckle for the top of them to work as a load lifter/extension and attach the cargo panel straps to and get that load lifted a bit higher.
None of it looks too expensive to play with, I just don't have the time.
My focus is on "cheap", "simple", "can carry sticks, bow and a small backpack bag so my hands are free" and "can expand to pack out a deer".

* I sent my son off to band camp this week using a surplus molle rucksack as his only bag because he thinks it's cool and he can attach everything to it without having to carry anything separate except his sax. We weighed it at 50lbs and it was "doable", but it was fully loaded out and not comfortable to walk far with, which for this use wasn't a concern. He told me he had it easier than other kids who were taking wheeled bags because they had to walk over a big grass field and he didn't have to drag anything, so there's that.

I picked up a used eberlestock mainframe a couple months ago. I really like it. I just got two batwings in yesterday and looks to be perfect for some extra gear and a set of sticks. I could take some pictures tonight if interested.

Ok will do. Wasn’t sure how I was going to use it when I bought it but I think the batwings are the way to go. I had considered just strapping a backpack to it as well but that’s extra straps and buckles to mess with. I didn’t want to leave it on the ground and carry the other up the tree either. The mainframe is narrow and not overly bulky so hauling it up and hanging shouldn’t be a problem.

Saw that super snazzy pack board that @Squirrels made up, and was wondering if anybody else used something similar?

I just need something to strap a set of sticks to. Pretty much everything else I carry can be stashed in pockets, or strapped to the board. Although, the little pouch he has on his looks sweet...

Anybody use the Eberlestock mainframe? Or I'm open to suggestions.
Nutter...look at the Pack Rabbit frames...they are sweet

I'll be playing with the one @kyler1945 has this weekend.
I have put mine thru the passes for a month and a half...I'm 5' 8" 165lbs and the pack rabbit fits perfect. The only complaint I have is on the flex portion of the pack. It makes a small noise so I used a nylon bushing to quite it down. That said, it was the best out of everything I looked at. The first of two features I really like is the shelf for carrying a heavy load and the fold down seat for glassing. I'm headed back to Iowa in two weeks and will be using this feature again for three days. It's bad A@#$ strong and durable...let me know what you think

I have put mine thru the passes for a month and a half...I'm 5' 8" 165lbs and the pack rabbit fits perfect. The only complaint I have is on the flex portion of the pack. It makes a small noise so I used a nylon bushing to quite it down. That said, it was the best out of everything I looked at. The first of two features I really like is the shelf for carrying a heavy load and the fold down seat for glassing. I'm headed back to Iowa in two weeks and will be using this feature again for three days. It's bad A@#$ strong and durable...let me know what you think

Ever had a 6ft 200lb friend try it on?

I was eyeballing it for the weight but not sure how big of a guy it can go on

Website says kids & women

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever had a 6ft 200lb friend try it on?

I was eyeballing it for the weight but not sure how big of a guy it can go on

Website says kids & women

I'm 5'8" 165lbs...the rabbit is for a smaller person, but there Pack Rabbit Mule is larger and carrys more weight

I'm 5'8" 165lbs...the rabbit is for a smaller person, but there Pack Rabbit Mule is larger and carrys more weight

Trying to avoid extra weight of Mule

I started hunting mountainous WMA's and NWR's last year. I haven't killed any deer in the mountains yet. I'm glad that I didn't because I was totally unprepared. I put together a pack for packing out a deer. Knives, sharpener, saw, bags, etc. Are in the fanny pack. Tarp and straps above fanny pack.
9cbc64554278491cb7e627f3151de19f.jpg

9d7e3ee4ba03461e94007af47564e13d.jpg

Back