• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pack position

Dkiss103

I’m a new saddle hunter, and trying to get everything lined out before my mantis and predator arrive. My question is where does everyone position their packs when in the tree? I’m making a paracord gear hanger that will go above my tether. Thinking about putting pack on backside of tree, just wanna make sure it’s not in a spot that could get in the way of a shot.

I put my pack on the tree around 1-2 o'clock (I'm a righty, reverse for a lefty). This puts it out of the way the majority of the time. I also hang it around waist heigh so that I can easily shoot above it but also easily move my feet on my steps below it.

I was asking this question myself but the last 3 hunts I decided I have no reason for my pack to be up in the tree and in my way. I wear it in with extra cloths and platform in. After setup I stash it on the ground and throw leaves on it. Anything I need once in the tree fits in my pockets or pouch I have on my harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hang my pack a quarter of the way around the tree to my left off of my bow hanger. I use an arm hanger unlike most of what I see here. My pack is the G3 treestand pack so there are no zippers to mess with once set up and everything is accessible silently the pack also has my quiver. When I set up a tree I expect that the deer will come from in front of me to the left as I am right handed. Of course this doesn’t always work out but that’s how I try to set the spot up in the travel corridor wind dependent. Having the pack on the tree to my left makes the much more cover for me to move behind while the deer is approaching if everything goes to plan. This is how I’m currently setting up.

For a while I was setting up with the pack (same pack) directly in front of me. I actually found this ideal as it was never in the way. The only reason that I changed is that because I then put my bow hanger there for the pack to hang off of it put my bow a bit to close to me and I would accidentally bump it from time to time. Deer see movement after all.

Generally speaking though if the pack is tight against the tree and at waist height it’s just not going to get in the way Unless you need to shoot right along the side of the tree where the pack is. Most times I’m not shooting past the tree. I actually don’t think I ever have.

I hang mine in the 3 o'clock position. With all the maneuvers you can make in a saddle it doesn't seem to interrupt any shots no matter your choice.

For bow hunting ( I'm right handed ,) I tie in above my shoulder. Rifle, used as rest when leaning

Back