• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packable rain suit

swampsnyper

Looking for a packable rain suit. Looking for one very light and not bulky. May keep in pack at all times. Just a shell to get me back to camp dry or be able to sit out a shower.

This rain Frogg Toggs suit on Amazon is tough to beat for price / weight / packability / durability / breathability.

It will keep you dry.

If you are a weight conscious guy, they make an ultralight option, but no camo version to my knowledge.

The major downside to this setup is that there are no pockets in the suit. Pockets mean seams and seams leak. Also, you will look like you are wearing a trash bag, but I have found that deer don't tend to judge me too harshly on that point.

This rain Frogg Toggs suit on Amazon is tough to beat for price / weight / packability / durability / breathability.

It will keep you dry.

If you are a weight conscious guy, they make an ultralight option, but no camo version to my knowledge.

The major downside to this setup is that there are no pockets in the suit. Pockets mean seams and seams leak. Also, you will look like you are wearing a trash bag, but I have found that deer don't tend to judge me too harshly on that point.
Which Frog Togg?

Which Frog Togg?
I have the full blown suit in the first link. It never really drops below $50 on Amazon.

The second ultra light option I linked to is currently less than $20 for the jacket only. I think they may be an all-time low price.

I went with Kuiu top and Skre pants - and I love them, expensive but I got the pants on camofire and jacket at discount.
Froggtoggs are noisy, at least the couple sets I have had.
I used the cabelas MT50 but it eventually leaked bad, and was too warm.

I went with Kuiu top and Skre pants - and I love them, expensive but I got the pants on camofire and jacket at discount.
Froggtoggs are noisy, at least the couple sets I have had.
I used the cabelas MT50 but it eventually leaked bad, and was too warm.

Good Point, Frogg Toggs are definitely noisy. Taking them off / on makes a racket.

Once they are on, I don't see the noise being much of an issue. Certainly wouldn't choose them for stalking, but they work well when hanging from a tree.

I have the Cabela’s space rain. It’s packable for the comfort level but it’s not something I want to carry every hunt.

+1 Cabelas Space Rain is pretty hard to beat for the price. There are lighter and better quality but not at a price point that I don't mind it getting shredded by brush and buying a new one every couple years.

I have the Cabela’s space rain. It’s packable for the comfort level but it’s not something I want to carry every hunt.

+1 Cabelas Space Rain is pretty hard to beat for the price. There are lighter and better quality but not at a price point that I don't mind it getting shredded by brush and buying a new one every couple years.

I been having a bass pro model for years that I think is close to the same. Didn't come with a stuff sack so I roll everything up into the hood. I could get it compressed more with the right sack but its heavier than what i'm looking for. It does a great job of keeping me dry. Still is heavier than I'd like to take backpacking, but I know it won't fail on me.

I saw nice packable rain gear at Cabelas which were cabelas brand. It was in the rack all packed up, I forget the actual name. It looked like good & light. About 100$ each.
Right on about no pockets. I hate that feature but love staying dry more.

Bass pro carries the Cabelas Space Rain now

Was able to see it in person and it’ll will be in my pack this year

Seems like a decent rain suit for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree on frog togs. I have two. One I keep in my pick up (mini vans are for guys the size of John Elberhart or @g2outdoors lol) and the other in my pack.

FroggToggs as well. Super light weight but not too tough so keep that in mind if you hunt the thick nasty stuff. I have dedicated rain gear but the FroggToggs are nice for the unpredictable pop-up storms

Frogs are good for stand hunting once you have them on. If you walk in brush you'll kill them, even if there are no thorns. My experience is that if there's about 8+ mph wind and rain, the noise they make is irrelevant. Besides that, they pack great, and weigh nothing, they are indeed my go-to pack-in stand kit. I've had other good stuff (Cabela's rain sued, Gamehide, I forget what else) and IMHO, if its gore-tex type, once the outer is wet, you will always get a bit of weep through the fabric (not the seams) about like saturated tyvek. Still a lot better than getting soaked, lol!!. I also use a snug sak poncho, but I noticed the same effect with that.

I have the kuiu Teton set and love it. Packs down really small, and is really lightweight. Haven't found a rain suit yet that isn't noisy. They don't make the Teton any more but I believe the Northridge is comparable.

I have the cabelas space rain set, it's good for the price and does keep you dry. It packs down into two stuff sacks about 2 times the size of a pop can each. And is fairly lightweight.

I also have the cabelas rain suede stuff which is definitely higher quality, but it's a fair amount bulkier.

Back