• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

packing drill and bolts

Dpitchford921

I just got my tree hopper drill bolts and pouch. how is everyone packing them in/up the tree? as of know the pouch is on the waist strap of my pack.

I use a small eberlestock accessory pouch ingot with my tailhook bag.

Its absolutely perfect. It fits them snug so there is no rattling. I can fit 20 bolts and my drill. As I climb in just pull a bolt out from my hip. I can't see me using another method.

Only drawback is when you walk in it kinda sags on that side.
2855b84dad0ac1cd931b8e56d4d0a9ee.jpg
5c6a6d5a04b14e92930cfec9b487c678.jpg
9be3e3a66dd62f3088873c80ff6fa33c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

That's what I did as well. I have a badlands superday and I have it on the right side of my waste belt. I also attached my SYS hauler on the left side of my backpack waste belt and everything is easily accessible. I put my tether and bow hanger strap in the sys hauler. When I get to the tree I strap my predator to the sternum strap and my bow on the back. I can do everything in one trip up the tree with no bow/pack rope. My order is:

1. Climb
2. Set platform
3. Set tether, then step on platform
4. Hang HYS strap
5. Hang my pack
6. Hang bow

I do all of this while staying connected via my linemans belt. Typically I never even unhook from it. I just keep it super loose around my waste as an extra safety precaution during the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I messed around with all kinds of stuff that I thought was the bomb at the time. Things worked okay, but in the end, I just lay the bolts in one pocket of my pack (along the waist belt) and the drill goes in another pocket (during transport, not during the climb). Both pockets are right on my right hip and pretty easy to access.
One thing I added to my Treehopper drill was a little loop of shock cord on the handle. I think this is very important. It allows me to hang the drill off of an already installed bolt, a finger, or little branch, etc if I need both hands for something. When climbing, we need to adjust our lineman rope or something else like pruning crap, and it sucks to have to stow the drill to free up both hands only to have to retrieve it 30 seconds later. Adding a little strap to the drill allows me to keep it out and handy for the next hole.

Its absolutely perfect. It fits them snug so there is no rattling. I can fit 20 bolts and my drill. As I climb in just pull a bolt out from my hip. I can't see me using another method.

What have you wrapped your bolts with?

What have you wrapped your bolts with?
I drilled holes into a post, but in grade 8 bolts into the post to get the correct depth then sprayed plastic dip onto them. Then I got some reflective tapes and cut thin strips for the end of the bolt to let me see them clearly when I'm climbing down and to let me find trees I have pre set in the dark. Then I got some skateboard grip tape of Amazon and applied that to help prevent any slips with my neoprene boots in inclement weather.

They work great.

Cool, I just got my tree hopper kit in mail Friday and gonna try it out this evening. I’ve been a quest to dial down my climbing method and tried sticks, and srt, not want I’m looking for. Hoping these will fill the bill

I think I’m 99% hooked on using the bolts as my primary method. Quick question, how long does it take you guys to drill a tree for say 24’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I’m 99% hooked on using the bolts as my primary method. Quick question, how long does it take you guys to drill a tree for say 24’?

I'm not the best yet. I have to redrill alot of holes.

About 15 minutes. I really take my time and try not to sweat.

About 15 minutes. I really take my time and try not to sweat.

So about the same as a climber going slow?

I’m just trying to decide if I should use my climber this year for rut sits and drill presets for next year this winter or just bite the bullet and drill in the dark on known trees I’ve hunted before. (This is my first year saddle hunting)

What is your bolts wrapped in?

Back