• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packing in gear and clothes during a hang an bang

So I’m going to be doing a public land scout and hunt in a few different areas in northern Michigan in the beginning of November. I know from experience as I’m hiking back there with most of my gear on I’ll be sweating like a pregnant nun lol (and that’s just the walk back there, not even setting up and climbing a tree yet!). How many of you guys pack most of your clothes in with you find a spot set up and hunt? What is your process when you find a tree? Do you throw on all your clothes on at the base of the tree climb up and get setup to hunt? Do you set the tree up first then get dressed while in your saddle or climb down and get dressed then climb back up? Want to get some feedback from some of the guys that have been doing this for a while and have their system in tune. Need some ideas to try out for my upcoming hunt. I find I learn better and gain better experience when I’m out there in real hunting situations as opposed to what I do in my backyard pre-season. Thanks for sharing some knowledge with me it is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The easiest trick is to strip down to baselayers (on top) where you are cold before hiking. The hiking part will warm you up. So in terms of numbers, down to 30* I would go down to baselayers on top before a long hike. Below 30* I would maybe add a layer (like a fleece sweater) for the hike out.

It's not easy (for me anyway) to add layers below my waist in the saddle. So those get added before climbing. You'll need to fine-tune your system for yourself, but that's my basic approach.

Hey Chris, didn't we meet at the Michigan Saddle get together in Midland?

Same as @sureshotscott , I typically wear my lowers layers and saddle in and I pack all my upper layers. Even down to 30 deg when I'm cold standing in my long sleeve Tee, I know I'll be fine once I start walking. I carry all my upper layers in the pouch of my turkey vest (my pack) and put them on once I'm settled in the tree. I can pull them down into the bridge loops one by one as I put them on. It keeps me as dry as I can stay walking and that is the key to keeping warm, for me anyway.

I pack all my outer layers in and put on all but my outer jacket once I'm at the base of my tree. I don't usually put that on until I'm all set up and starting to get a chill.

Yep. Once at hunting height, there's a period of settling in where a lot of fidgeting goes on. Back band, outer jacket, facemask, nockers, etc. My outer jacket gets pulled out and ready for wear once that first chill sets in.

The easiest trick is to strip down to baselayers (on top) where you are cold before hiking. The hiking part will warm you up. So in terms of numbers, down to 30* I would go down to baselayers on top before a long hike. Below 30* I would maybe add a layer (like a fleece sweater) for the hike out.

It's not easy (for me anyway) to add layers below my waist in the saddle. So those get added before climbing. You'll need to fine-tune your system for yourself, but that's my basic approach.

Thanks sureshotscott!

Hey Chris, didn't we meet at the Michigan Saddle get together in Midland?

Same as @sureshotscott , I typically wear my lowers layers and saddle in and I pack all my upper layers. Even down to 30 deg when I'm cold standing in my long sleeve Tee, I know I'll be fine once I start walking. I carry all my upper layers in the pouch of my turkey vest (my pack) and put them on once I'm settled in the tree. I can pull them down into the bridge loops one by one as I put them on. It keeps me as dry as I can stay walking and that is the key to keeping warm, for me anyway.

Thanks Joe! Yes we did meet at the Midland MI saddle get together. I was the guy you let try your climbing method.

I will wear all of my bottom layers, and if it's really warm, I wear just a t shirt. Once I get to my spot, I'll relax for a few minutes, take off my t shirt and stuff it in a gallon zip loc bag, put my base layers on, then make my climb. Once up, I'll put my jacket on, then get settled in. If it's cooler, even below freezing, I'll usually just where my base layer top, and then puty jacket on at the base of the tree.

Being from Michigan I'm sure you know the value of wool base layers. But like @sureshotscott said I wear my bottoms the way I'm gonna hunt but only a light wool base layer top until I feel a little chill then layer accordingly. The wool is usually dried out from my body heat by the time I start to add layers. I can handle some pretty cold conditions this way if the wind is not blowing. If their is much wind I may add my mid layer for the trip in. The heater body suit is the bomb for this kind of hunt for me in the past but haven't tried it with the saddle.

I have some long hikes (2 miles or so) and, like the other guys said, wear only base layer. Sometimes I even go shirtless if there’s not too many briars. I typically cool down for a bit and shed my pack while finding the perfect tree. I’ll set up in base layers and if I’m still not cool I’ll climb down and sit for a bit(if it’s still dark) or else put my bottom layers on and cool down at height if it’s a PM hunt

45° today. Walked in a mile with nothing but pants and a tshirt. Got dressed once I was at height. No sweat.

Your lower body won't sweat bad, barring your feet (in rubber boots) and your groin (I use antiperspirant). Provided you keep your core and head warm, I find my lower also doesn't need as much insulation. I generally wear regular pants down to around 30, and put long John's on if it dips below that. I just wear that combo to the tree.

Just like the others I wear just enough cloths to protect me from bleeding. I climb with bottoms on. Dress up while in the tree. Typically i wait for cooldown before adding layers.

I wear just enough not to shiver and walk just fast enough to not shiver. I dress at the tree after I’ve cooled off.

I appreciate the reply’s thanks fellas. Gonna be out there getting it done in a couple weekends.

I sweat just hearing about physical exertion. I walk in with under armor underwear and short sleeve shirt (all season, through February). Take it slow as to not sweat through my pants if possible. Even in Feb., I sweat through my socks and underbritches.

At tree, I rest until I cool down, then set up sticks and platform.
Then I rest until cooled down again. Then I change into dry underbritches, under layers, base layers and outer layers and glorious dry socks. Then rest, and only then ascend the tree.

When I see people picking packs without regard to carrying clothes, I scratch my head. It doesn’t work for me.

Your mileage may vary. That said, I would recommend altering your pace of hiking / setup to your internal sweat threshold AND making sure you have dry / wicking clothing and dry feet / socks / boots.

Cotton is your enemy!

Just for the record...I never wear cotton while I’m hunting. It’s always ice breaker merino wool then I layer with cabelas ecwcs base layers.

Yup, just pack your warm clothes in. I lived in NY for 57 years (these last 2 in KY). Because the prevailing wind is SW, I had to do a looong climb up the side of a valley to get up to the woods that I had permission to hunt. No joke, it was so strenuous, that it took 40 minutes to get up the hill side to any of my stands. Even if it was 15-20 degrees (normal late Nov, and Dec temps), I climbed in with just base-layer bottoms, my boots, gloves and shirtless. Terrifying to get out of the truck into the ice world, but after about 5 minutes into the climb I always felt great and was very happy I started that way.

Last edited:
Back