• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packing meat?

Caribou gear makes good ones in different sizes. Black ovis sales similar bags but I’ve never used them. I have used plastic bags to line my backpack for whitetail. I know it’s not recommended but it’s not in there long. It’s too hot to hang meat in the shade here.

Caribou is one brand, and actually allen has some decent ones for about half the price. I found some on Amazon.

I've packed an elk and probably 8-10 deer with one set of washable Tag bags. I've ripped one due to my carelessness with a sharp bone. Size depends on what you wanna pack and whether you are deboning or not. I have "elk" size and obviously that works just fine for packing deer, I just fit more than one quarter per bag.

You. just saved me $40, THANKS! I had been looking at Carabou and Black Ovis. I am just day hunting in Bama so my meat is only going to spend a couple hours in the bag. I wanted a synthetic tough bag and my only options looked like those $60 kits. The Allen bags look like they will fit the bill for me. Synthetic, tough and washable at $20, heck yea! The amazon reviews are good too so that's always a plus.

You. just saved me $40, THANKS! I had been looking at Carabou and Black Ovis. I am just day hunting in Bama so my meat is only going to spend a couple hours in the bag. I wanted a synthetic tough bag and my only options looked like those $60 kits. The Allen bags look like they will fit the bill for me. Synthetic, tough and washable at $20, heck yea! The amazon reviews are good too so that's always a plus.
Sweet, I put a small mule deer in mine for a week, then just soaked them for a day in detergent before washing. Cleaned out great. Ive also used them to hang meat and age it in my extra fridge.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I use an Alice pack that I got at our local Army Navy Surplus store.

I just use unscented black heavy weight trash bags, carry out with a framed molle pack. I leave meat in the bags, then throw on ice, so no direct ice contact. And I leave the bag open so it can breath in the cooler. Done this for 10 days before. Closest thing to hanging or dry aging the meat before prepping and packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tag bags or kifaru meat baggie. Meat bag for transport and tag to hang. Meat bag doesn’t stretch and will prevent barreling under heavy load

I've used Alaska Game Bags for whitetail and black bear. They have worked great and held up for 5 animals so far without noticing any issues. They are tough too. I hung them loaded in a tree during an unexpected wind storm and they showed no signs of stress on the seams. Just hit em with the hose before putting them in the washing machine, or the wife may lose her cool (personal experience).

https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Game-Caribou-Quarter-Bags/dp/B0771Y4ZNF

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back