• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packing the house to go hunting

MNFarmHunter

It never ceases to amaze me how much crap I pack for hunting. Thankfully, I only haul most of this to and from the cabin once but I still find it annoying.

There's the:
- Hunting clothing trunk
- Household goods trunk (a mini trunk with general cooking items, TP, etc.)
- Butcher kit (knives, tarps, gloves, bags, etc.)
- Light box (2 white gas and 1 propane lantern)
- Small cooler for cold food and beverage
- Large cooler for meat
- Bow case with arrows
- Grocery bag with dry goods and canned food
- Bag with saddle in it
- Hunting backpack
- Gym bag for non-hunting clothes

The only saving grace to all of this is that my OCD requires me to reorganize/replenish everything once the season is over so I largely just have to grab and go.

It never ceases to amaze me how much crap I pack for hunting. Thankfully, I only haul most of this to and from the cabin once but I still find it annoying.

There's the:
- Hunting clothing trunk
- Large cooler for meat
- Bow case with arrows
- Bag with saddle in it
- Hunting backpack

The only saving grace to all of this is that my OCD requires me to reorganize/replenish everything once the season is over so I largely just have to grab and go.
Just think what you would have to pack if you were hunting out of your truck…that list would double.

There's the:
- Hunting clothing trunk
- Large cooler for meat
- Bow case with arrows
- Bag with saddle in it
- Hunting backpack

I understand...How did the mt. man travel clear across the country w/only a haversack and possibles bag? I need more than I can carry just to hunt the local wood lot for two hrs...

When I look at the list, it's still minimal if you consider what I'm doing.

Each of my hunts last 2-3 days. I could skip the household goods trunk and eat cold cereal and Mtn House or MRE's but after a day of hunting, I want a good, hot meal.

If I didn't do my own processing, I wouldn't need the butcher kit or the large cooler and just strap the deer to my bumper and drive down the highway like everyone else. Bonus points if the carcass is a few days old, temps are above freezing and there's still endtrail remnants in the cavity.

You might as well get a trailer to keep all that stuff in so you just hitch it up in go. My childhood Scout troop had one; a few nights before an outing we'd go through the camp kitchens and tends and whatnot to make sure everything was complete and in good working order.

Nothing wrong with a hot meal or beverage. Creature comforts like that make hardships and discomfort more endurable.

I understand...How did the mt. man travel clear across the country w/only a haversack and possibles bag? I need more than I can carry just to hunt the local wood lot for two hrs...
Because you want to carry more. Same with me. We have more to our disposal and its attractive. They simply knew the more they took the more it would slow them down. It does amaze me though how much I own to kill animals LOL

There's the:
- Hunting clothing trunk
- Large cooler for meat
- Bow case with arrows
- Bag with saddle in it
- Hunting backpack

Is that it?????

I know right - every year I say I am going to cut back. One of these days I’ll go to woods in shirt, jeans and my bow - that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back