• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

paint/dye for a new rinehart 18-1 target?

raisins

SH Member
Someone here usually has the answer....so I'm hoping this is no different.

I just shot my new rinehart. I can't stand big painted dots on my target and prefer orange stickers of the appropriate size for the yardage. Well, this thing is covered with fluorescent green-yellow that is the same color as my pin.

I've read that standard rattle can spray paint just soaks in. I'm considering sanding it off, soaking it in dye (but it might absorb and then leak over time if the thing ever gets wet), or something else like roof sealer followed with a layer of paint. Maybe acetone will take it off.

Suggestions?

Thanks - R

I've never done it, but I bet Flex Seal would work. They make it a bunch of different colors now.

I used rattlecan spray paint and a stencil to add some dots to my Black Hole (layered foam) target. Soaked in a little but looks just like the dots that came on it and have lasted since the beginning of last season. I did the same thing on a Glendel Buck and the dot was basically gone in a week. Worn off the outer coating of that target, so I went back over with a sharpie and it’s still there, mostly. I am not familiar with the one you mentioned so not sure what the surface is like.

I used rattlecan spray paint and a stencil to add some dots to my Black Hole (layered foam) target. Soaked in a little but looks just like the dots that came on it and have lasted since the beginning of last season. I did the same thing on a Glendel Buck and the dot was basically gone in a week. Worn off the outer coating of that target, so I went back over with a sharpie and it’s still there, mostly. I am not familiar with the one you mentioned so not sure what the surface is like.

Here it is.

I can usually put orange dots on a target and just focus on those (usually my orange dots are the brightest thing on the target), but this thing is covered in a color that is obnoxiously bright in person (about like road worker safety green-yellow). I can't pick out any other color dot on it and focus on it because of that color. It draws the eye away too much. So, I want all black.

So, I'll be covering the whole thing and why I'm uptight about covering it well the first time.

Last edited:
What about pinning a cover of black landscape frabic over it, or make like a bag out of the fabric and cover the target? Then you can make the dots whatever color and size you like.

What about pinning a cover of black landscape frabic over it, or make like a bag out of the fabric and cover the target? Then you can make the dots whatever color and size you like.

Thanks, that would work as a last case scenario.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Just called Rinehart....it's always pleasantly surprising how nice and helpful outdoor company reps are IF they are a top company and they know it (Trijicon, Grim Reaper, Rinehart, Rivers West...are a few that have been great over the years).

Anyways, they get this question a good bit, it seems.

The reason that others try spray paint and it doesn't work is because the targets are covered with a release agent from the molding process. Rep stated (and what I'll do): 1. scrub really well with hot water and dish soap (I'll use blue Dawn because it is basically magic), 2. allow to dry , and 3. use any quality spray paint.

Thought I"d post this here in case it helps someone, and I'll post back when it works (or doesn't).

Thanks - R

Update: I painted this last week. It worked out really well. I used a matte black spray paint which I like because my orange dot stickers for aiming stick to that toothy paint surface really well and the matte finish makes the stickers really pop visually. I did 3 coats because it's cheap and why not. That target must be an open cell type foam because it really absorbed wash water more than I thought. So, to paint an end, I would let it sit in in a mesh chair in the heat with the side to be painted up in the air, letting the water drain to other side. Then wipe that with alcohol and paint 3 coats. I let that dry thoroughly because I knew that when I flipped it that the water would drain to the other side and hit the paint. Then I flipped it and let the unpainted end stick up in the air and drain a bit to repeat the process. I made sure to shoot two opposing ends and have it stored with one shot side down (drain holes) and one shot side up (evaporation holes) because I know this thing is gonna grow mushrooms if I don't!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Just called Rinehart....it's always pleasantly surprising how nice and helpful outdoor company reps are IF they are a top company and they know it (Trijicon, Grim Reaper, Rinehart, Rivers West...are a few that have been great over the years).

Anyways, they get this question a good bit, it seems.

The reason that others try spray paint and it doesn't work is because the targets are covered with a release agent from the molding process. Rep stated (and what I'll do): 1. scrub really well with hot water and dish soap (I'll use blue Dawn because it is basically magic), 2. allow to dry , and 3. use any quality spray paint.

Thought I"d post this here in case it helps someone, and I'll post back when it works (or doesn't).

Thanks - R

Great tip. I have the same target and the new sight I have has a dot that is the exact same color as the target green. I will follow the proper procedure to paint mine.

Great tip. I have the same target and the new sight I have has a dot that is the exact same color as the target green. I will follow the proper procedure to paint mine.

Glad I could help. I washed my target by placing it in a tub with standing water. The thing really likes to absorb water, and I had to give up on getting it totally dry before painting (well, if I wanted it within a week or so!) because even after 3 days in 90 F weather outside, you could push on the target and water came out. If I had to do it over again, I might consider just scrubbing it really well with a lot of alcohol (denature ethanol on a soft brush and then rag would probably work well, but I used 90% rubbing alcohol). Or if I really wanted to use the dish soap, then I'd try to use a hose and lean the target to have the water hit the surface and runoff. The way I did it, I kind of guaranteed that it would get soaked bad. If I had been thinking ahead, I might've weighed the target dry beforehand so I could weigh again and judge how much water was in it.

Last edited:
Back