• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

painting predator

noxninja

I am not going to try and do some fancy paint job so will regular spray paint work on that aluminum or do I need to get something else?

I used a base coat of flat grey spray can primer and then sponged some dark and light brown tones. Worked great, stayed there all last season and hasn't flaked off yet.

I used a base coat of flat grey spray can primer and then sponged some dark and light brown tones. Worked great, stayed there all last season and hasn't flaked off yet.
what kind of paint did you use for sponging? Spray?

Yes, I just sprayed a puddle on a sheet of cardboard and sponged off it with a torn/rough cut edge of a sponge.

I am not going to try and do some fancy paint job so will regular spray paint work on that aluminum or do I need to get something else?
I would really consider having your predator hydro dipped in a pattern of choice...aluminum is a dirty metal, so with this process they will sand blast it and then epoxy coat it to seal it.
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

Was it an etching primer? I've read they are suggested for painting aluminum to get a better bond.

Nope, I used Ace hardware flat grey primer. I must admit I didn't paint the top surface of the platform, just the post. bottom and visible edges but it hasn't flaked or worn off after a rough season of usage.

Just posted this on another thread, but could do the dip method with spray paint and bucket of water. I did this on my Oneida bow limbs and it turned out awesome.

Back