• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Panic attack moment- cut down my LW sticks

AvgJoewithaBow

Vendor Rep
Well over been debating over it for months. Ordered every other system or there just to try to avoid it. Tried Muddy Pros, WE steps, Bullman Steps..just couldn't match the comfort and convenience of my LW sticks. Problem was I hated the length, weight didn't bother me, but just to combersome to carry through the forest.

So, I very spontaneously I grabbed my wrenches to remove hardware and chopped the down....needless to say it was a nerve racking bullet sweating moment. However, once they were cut and assembled I quickly realized that it was the right choice. Not only did they still retain all the qualities that make LW great, they actually became a bit better because they were light, packable, and more maneuverable.

It did take off a bit of material, I'll be making a video very soon on how I did them and the hardware moving I did. With the material removal it did shorten total climbing length for me about 4 feet. But with a 5 step RC aider I was able to make up the difference very easily with only using it on the bottom stick.

With no stretching I can easily set my platform at 18'. Keep in mind I'm a short and very unathletic dude. Hobbit ish. But really 18' at the platform will accommodate about 99% of my sits. Hill country on a hill side will be a bit of an issue but I have a knaider swaider that I'm working on incorporating into the system too.

All in all I'm pleased. It's a system in very comfortable with and has gained many advantages compared to stock length.

a6302f1b7bfd969cb82273bc7c662d6c.jpg
ef9f0293f024997ace3dff54585e1f0f.jpg
030c12a2a2d1b4800c7b55dbd777426d.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190721/620a5b50f76209c2f045a9baa0b00fa8.jpg[/IMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look good

Great way to save weight & improve pack ability

Just a matter of getting used to the feel of that 5step aider

It’s definitely weird feeling at first

Those look good

Great way to save weight & improve pack ability

Just a matter of getting used to the feel of that 5step aider

It’s definitely weird feeling at first

I definitely wouldn't use it past the first stick. I've been practicing but it still is a bit to get used to.

I definitely wouldn't use it past the first stick. I've been practicing but it still is a bit to get used to.

If u can get used to it, u can definitely get some height

My goal is to avg about 7ft per stick + 4 step aider

I'm going to be trying to use the knaider swaider as well if I need extra height. Just haven't figured out what points to try and secure to. I know G2 made a continuous loop with amsteel on a video of his but I'm not that handy...we'll I probably am but dont trust my work enough with my life at 20' up.

I know G2 made a continuous loop with amsteel on a video of his but I'm not that handy...we'll I probably am but dont trust my work enough with my life at 20' up.

They sell amsteel continuous loops.

Nice setup. I use the exact same ropes on my LW sticks but havent had the courage to chop them down yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What’s the main difference between these and muddys which measure in at 20” I believe?

Haven’t used the muddys in the field yet, but I’ve often considered cutting the LWs. Wanting to use the muddys once or twice before breaking out the hacksaw.

Last edited:
What’s the main difference between these and muddys which measure in at 20” I believe?

Haven’t used the muddys in the field yet, but I’ve often considered cutting the LWs. Wanting to use the muddys once or twice before breaking out the hacksaw.

I bought Muddys to try and used them 3 times then sold them. Alot of people like them but for me I couldn't get them to hold well to the tree and they were just to damn heavy. I think 4 of them were over 12 lbs of I remember right.

My LW mini sticks with a rope mod are 1.7lbs each.

instead of the 5 step aider you should try the one step tubular webbing aider that you move between sticks. Yesterday I was testing both. The 5 step aider on my WE steps and the One step movabale aider on my Cut down API sticks and the One step aider on the sticks was 100000X easier/ safer feeling for me. If you are not sure what Im talking about check out that Bowhunter TV saddle setup video. Its the aider he uses.

If you want to get a little bit higher, maybe add a one step aider to your second stick. I don't like using aiders, esp at height, but I use them on my first 2 sticks.

Looks good man. I'm about to buy a set of LW sticks and the length was my main concern. I'm gonna play with them a bit at stock length before I decide to cut. Looking forward to your video.

I've always wondered, why not use the left over steps and buy another piece of tubing and two new stand-offs and make an extra stick? Seems like an easier way to get extra height without having to use an aider.

I just did the same exact thing as you after contemplating it for a year or so. Funny thing is, my name is Joe also, and like you, I'm quite Hobbit like.

I've always wondered, why not use the left over steps and buy another piece of tubing and two new stand-offs and make an extra stick? Seems like an easier way to get extra height without having to use an aider.

well in my case i looked at the double steps to make a 4th stick after cutting down my APIs. I was left with 3 double steps and thats it. 2 new standoff brackets, versa button, tubing and end caps comes to 75$ after shipping. I paid 70$ total for my 3 API sticks. Webbing aider cost me a few dollars. Not to mention 4th stick adds weight and more importantly in my case it adds bulk. I hunt pine thickets in TX. Also, I was concerned with the 4th stick not "nesting" properly with the other 3. Not sure if it would or would not, but I didnt want to spend the money and take the chance it didnt. But, yea i thought about the 4th stick idea but after using the one step moveable aider i feel like i made the right decision for my scenario.

Back