• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Passion throughout the season?

Bowtech12

Just wondering if anyone else’s bowhunting passion changes year to year or throughout the season?
due to work, family this year I don’t seem to have the spark
I scouted hard in the spring. The few times I’ve been out I haven’t even bumped deer this year so maybe it’s the hot temperatures for that happening

Nothing throws cold water on my enthusiasm like making a few hunts and seeing no deer. That's just the way it is here. We have low deer density. My guess is 4 to 6 deer per square mile in most places. We have big woods and pines. No agriculture within 30 miles. I just have to remember that if I am on good sign to stick it out. Each blank gets me closer to a shank, lol. I love bowhunting so I stay pretty enthusiastic year-round.

Hunting too much does it for me. I used to go out 30+ times a year. After doing this much hunting for about 5 years now, and going over trail cam photos extensively, I just don't bother going out anymore with a day over 60°. I rarely see deer on stand, and the cams always go dead.
I try to limit myself to going out whenever a cold front comes through only. The odds are infinitely higher in your favor. Can you kill something when it's warmer? Absolutely. But as I get older I absolutely cannot stand wasting my time. I want high percentage hunts only. This year I've only gone out 5 times now, and I haven't lost my passion whatsoever yet and the best it yet to come that I'm ready for

To me the last few years getting into saddle hunting, some public land and out of state hunts has kept my interest up.

Hunting too much does it for me. I used to go out 30+ times a year. After doing this much hunting for about 5 years now, and going over trail cam photos extensively, I just don't bother going out anymore with a day over 60°. I rarely see deer on stand, and the cams always go dead.
I try to limit myself to going out whenever a cold front comes through only. The odds are infinitely higher in your favor. Can you kill something when it's warmer? Absolutely. But as I get older I absolutely cannot stand wasting my time. I want high percentage hunts only. This year I've only gone out 5 times now, and I haven't lost my passion whatsoever yet and the best it yet to come that I'm ready for
Agreed!!! On the wasting time as you get older!!
Normally I’d have 7-8 hunts in by now but as I age I know it’s a waste with the temps the way they’ve been

I try to do 40+ days a season. It is a grind at times. I don't hunt low percentage spots. There has to be fresh sign but even then, seeing no deer is the norm.

Burn out is real. I have depression problems which makes me lose all interest in most things. Burn out just fuels that.
not seeing deer is more fuel

I generally love the whole process but it can be a grind. If you are working hard to put in the miles and trudge into the thick stuff close to bedding it can wear on you if you aren't getting close opportunities. What gets me is when I put in the effort and find some good spots, but get hunts ruined from hunting pressure. It's the nature of the public game, and I have come to expect it, but it gets old having to resort to game plans d, e, and f.

The other thing that burns me out is the processing... I do process my own deer, which can take the energy out of me. If I burn both ends of the candle for a few weeks straight getting up early, hunting hard, staying out late if I have to find a deer, dragging out, processing a few nights in a row, it can take the wind out of my sails. It can save a lot of money, and I like to know it's my deer and that it was handled with good care and trimmed up to my liking, but man it can be tiresome.

Just wondering if anyone else’s bowhunting passion changes year to year or throughout the season?
I scouted hard in the spring. The few times I’ve been out I haven’t even bumped deer this year so maybe it’s the hot temperatures for that happening
Do something different if you can. Go to a different property. Try to still hunt instead of hanging. Something that changes things up and gives you something new and unknown

I've hunted twice this year. Haven't scouted at all. I've seen deer both times. Shot one the 2nd sit. May hunt a little front that's coming through this week, may wait for a better one.

As I've gotten what I consider to be very good at hunting, my total kills per year don't increase, but my sightings and kills per sit do. Dr. Sheppard was right. Find good habitat, wait for the right conditions, and don't over hunt the spot

Never been there. I used to hunt 4-5 days a week. Work life change has knocked that down to 2-2 1/2 days a week and that only angers me. Waiting on perfect conditions isn’t an option. The deer are still in the woods even on bad days so I try and make hay when I can. Sitting at work and getting text of dead deer on those perfect days will drive a man to drinkin.

I've hunted twice this year. Haven't scouted at all. I've seen deer both times. Shot one the 2nd sit. May hunt a little front that's coming through this week, may wait for a better one.

As I've gotten what I consider to be very good at hunting, my total kills per year don't increase, but my sightings and kills per sit do. Dr. Sheppard was right. Find good habitat, wait for the right conditions, and don't over hunt the spot
I’m re- reading a Dr Shepherd book, you have had some older posts on his analytical approach.
I go too hard early season and need to just trust my scouting and wait to really hike when the conditions dictate ( steep overnight drop in temps, etc.) with a little priority of vacation days around this time
That man was ahead of his time and is straightforward for hunters new and old or North or South.

For me, not feeling prepared always kills my motivation. I had one year where way too much was left to right before the season. It just felt like scrambling and an additional source of stress.

I swore I wouldn't do it again and I ended up sitting out last year completely. This year is looking like it will be the same.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nothing throws cold water on my enthusiasm like making a few hunts and seeing no deer. That's just the way it is here. We have low deer density. My guess is 4 to 6 deer per square mile in most places. We have big woods and pines. No agriculture within 30 miles. I just have to remember that if I am on good sign to stick it out. Each blank gets me closer to a shank, lol. I love bowhunting so I stay pretty enthusiastic year-round.

Im in pretty much the same boat here in SE Louisiana. we just dont have the numbers other states have, especially on pubilc land. I have alot of sits where i see nothing but squirrels and it makes you question yourself and why you are out there...but for me i love every little detail and it keeps me pumped up! i love the familiar feeling of setting up at my tailgate in the dark at 4:30am. I love being out there, the sights, the sounds. I love talking about hunting with other people and hearing about their success. There's enough as a whole to keep me passionate all season long regardless of the kill.

I still get pumped every year for bowhunting. I always figured no such thing as the right place, only the right time. Hot weather when deer have their winter coats on defiantly slows down movement. Colder temps should help get them in the right spot at the right time.

I have hunted very little the past two seasons because of school. I’m finished now but have a second little one at home as of a week ago. But the weather has sucked for hunting. It was almost 80 degrees Saturday and in the 70s yesterday and today. Supposed to storm tomorrow and bring a cold front later this week. Maybe I can slip out for a few hours before I have to go back to work. I don’t get real excited for hunting until around Halloween. That’s when the weather has typically turned and the deer are more active. Seeing and/or hopefully killing deer definitely helps with motivation. Your season can turn around pretty quick when everything aligns. Don’t feel pressured to go out if you’re not enjoying it. It is a hobby in the end.

I've lost the deer hunting motivation almost completely this year, haven't had one sit yet this season...and that's after only a handful of hunts last year. Hoping the drive picks up as it gets colder, but right now squirrel hunting is the thing I'm loving in the woods.

I think I'm just losing patience sitting around doing nothing. So many hours have been spent without seeing anything the last few years. I'm having way more fun plodding around through the woods with a 22 in hand, then trying to be sneaky and quiet and still.

Back