• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Peepless pin sight

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
Isee lots doing it with the ezv, but have/does anyone shoot peepless with a normal pin sight?

I don't have a ton of experience but I am currently using a nose button and a single pin slider. My peep is still tied in but I just ignore it and found a repeatable location with the nose button and sighted in to that. It took a few practice sessions to really nail in the consistency but I hated looking through the peep and enjoy the open sight picture.

I haven't practiced from the saddle yet like this so no comments on that but hoping to in the next couple weeks when I get time.

Yes back in the day all the time. No hunters ever used peeps. We would just clip a brass nock set painted yellow up as a reference keeping it as close to the center of your eye as possible. Even with that you will have to move your sight in or out as the windage setting for shooting "through" the string via a peep will still be much different than bringing the string back to see it in your eye. Maybe add a kisser or a nose button too for extra rear anchor and sighting consistency.

I did it for awhile. I lined the string up with the edge of the riser. Went back to a large peep and single pin.

I'm having a tough time imagining the sight picture, so the string will still rest on my nose, and it feels like the string would still be in my line of vision, could anyone show me what shooting peepless would look like through the sight?

Jay as I’ve seen some do as well as my self. You can kind of peek around the string. I’m right handed and look to just the left. It works for me due to how I shoot trad. I have seen others just look to the right. Eye dominance and having one or two eyes open can really mess with you. I have to partially close my left eye or it takes over. After a few hundred shots I realized my eye has tuned out the string so to speak. I have zero focus to it or even really realize that I see it. I did have to adjust windage a little for this but not much. Anchor point is key for sure.

I'm having a tough time imagining the sight picture, so the string will still rest on my nose, and it feels like the string would still be in my line of vision, could anyone show me what shooting peepless would look like through the sight?
I always lined up the string along the right most side of my eye.... its just a blur to the very right of your eye. You don't cover up the pin or anything just be sure to reference it the same each time. That's where a kisser or nose button could help with consistency. But don't look for the string either. Keep looking at the target and your sight pin and as you draw back, adjust the string so the "blur" is along the right side but don't move your eye to see it. Does that make sense?

I always lined up the string along the right most side of my eye.... its just a blur to the very right of your eye. You don't cover up the pin or anything just be sure to reference it the same each time. That's where a kisser or nose button could help with consistency. But don't look for the string either. Keep looking at the target and your sight pin and as you draw back, adjust the string so the "blur" is along the right side but don't move your eye to see it. Does that make sense?
I think so, I might have to just pull the peep out and give it a try

Be sure to keep your draw hand~anchor location the same as well. Try to visualize that you are doing everything the same as before you just do not have your peep sight on now. If you can see the a blurry/blotchy image of the string in the off corner of your eye so to speak you not referencing the string close enough to your eye. It will take some trial and error. Start close and don't get freaked out if they go somewhat to the left or right its just because your rear sight has moved now so to speak.

Basically the same for me. It’s a blur I hardly notice to the right. If you pull your peep just keep a piece of serving in to quick go back to the same spot if you choose. I use a nose button for my anchor and fingers on my jaw in a specific spot for reference.

Honestly I've never even thought about the string. Couldn't tell you if I look left or right of it as it just kind of disappears when I'm focusing on the target.

Not a horrible grouping at 25 peepless, I had one flyer that I pulled on the shot a bit.i like the clarity of not having to look through a tiny hole to see my sight Screenshot_20210806-085721_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210806-085721_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210806-085721_Gallery.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to the light side ! Some people think you need a peep. It’s just a second verifier. You can achieve second verification of anchor with nose, serving ball , or a kisser button. I can’t see going back to a peep on my deer hunting setup.

What was said above is exactly what I do as well. I think you will find most right handed shooters that anchor with the tip of their string off their nose will find it more natural to have sight pin to right side of string. The key to the success is to have a VERY consistent anchor point, which is where the nose button comes into play. I try not to get caught up in the "pin" location but more in the consistency of anchor and where I want to hit. When it gets to be second nature you will likely find yourself actually paying little attention to the pin and its relative location to the string.

What was said above is exactly what I do as well. I think you will find most right handed shooters that anchor with the tip of their string off their nose will find it more natural to have sight pin to right side of string. The key to the success is to have a VERY consistent anchor point, which is where the nose button comes into play. I try not to get caught up in the "pin" location but more in the consistency of anchor and where I want to hit. When it gets to be second nature you will likely find yourself actually paying little attention to the pin and its relative location to the string.

Welcome to the light side ! Some people think you need a peep. It’s just a second verifier. You can achieve second verification of anchor with nose, serving ball , or a kisser button. I can’t see going back to a peep on my deer hunting setup.
I did pick up and have been using a nose button, so I do have that second anchor reference point

I added a bowmar nose button last year and pulled my peep out. Shot with a peep back in two days ago just to make sure I wanted to stick with it again this year and I took it back out.
I set the blurry string in my line of sight directly to the right edge of the pin and get small repeatable groups to any distance I’d shoot at a deer. Works for my style of hunting at 25 yards and in.

Check out the iq bow sights for shooting peerless. I used on last year and they’re very nice and make for consistent shooting. I used a peep with mine but I guess quite a few people shoot them peerless Bc of their retina lock bubble thing.

There are also these devices available to consider if you don't want to use a peep:

Archery Innovations – Archery's Anchor Sight - OR-

Adjustable Red Dot Mount

I have no affiliation with nor have I used either but I am kind of a sight junkie and do review these things always looking for the better mouse trap. I have read and heard good things about the Anchor Sight. The second one has resurfaced this year. This concept was originally developed by Claud Pollington who also bought Onieda Eagle bows back in the mid to late 1990's. I do know the red dots they use on these sights are high quality still used in the pistol target shooting world and I believe are USA made. I have thought about picking one of the scopes up for my mini crossbow but my Bushnell seems to work fine so far still.

Back