• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PERCH review

Kurt

Alright, the jury is in. I've had my Perch for a week. First thing you notice is it's ultralite. It has a great surface, which relates to good traction. I found that if I tied my stepp on and cammed it over loosely, just enough to hold it in place and then put the Perch on the stepp it wouldn't bind so much, and I could get the Perch to seat without excessive force. Then when the Perch was in place I could just tighten the stepp and cam it over using the Perch as a lever. Some time when I cammed the stepp on tight it changed the inside dimension of the stand offs, and the Perch would bind. The directions say muscle it in, but that equates to noise IMO. If the Perch is placed in the stepp prior to tying the stepp to the tree you can't use the flip loop tying method, no biggie. You could actually put the Perch on a stepp on the ground and hang it off your saddle and reach back to get it when you're at height, then just tie it on super tight and cam it over. If you don't get it tight enough, and then start using it,, the amount of movement WILL increase. The most important thing is to get the stepp your going to mount the Perch on super tight. I find it's easier to get the predator on tight the first time. I like to keep my K/S on after I climb. The top of the Perch is very sharp, and I wonder if over time I'll see wear on my foot loops? I think the Perch is a solid platform option, and there's a lot to like in it's design and function. I can move around and make all the shots I can with my Predator, although there's more room to turn on the Predator for the offside shot, that being said, I'm still packing in a platform so it's not going to change things appreciably in my pack, other than the 2ish lb. difference. I don't notice any noise when I'm on the Perch, I can wiggle it by hand some time depending on how the stepp cammed over, but no noise when I'm on it. I can use the K/S to climb onto the Perch, giving me 20 feet with four stepps, and platform ready. I actually lose 2 feet when compared to the Predator, because I use the same 4 stepps to get to 20 feet then add a couple of more for the Predator, again not the end of the world. Well, this was my attempt at a fair assessment of the Perch.

I've only tried mine once for a few minutes because I've had to much going on recently but the little I did try it I really liked. Looking forward to practicing prior to season.

I am doing daily practise with the steps and perch. I am realizing that the more time that you put into practicing the more you realize the versatility of this system. I agree that it is good to find a step that fits the Perch tightly and get it cammed down tight.

Back