• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Perch Vs Scout

sworrior

I have been looking at going to something smaller than my Predator platform, but either due to bad planning or just luck, I find myself shooting weak side almost as often as I end up shooting strong side. I know there is always the option of up and over, or going around the tree, but I really just prefer to stand and rotate, back towards the tree, and shoot as though I am in a regular stand for these scenarios.

One member mentioned that he had OOAL build him a straight scout, and then there is the option of the wild edge perch. With a mini shikar I feel like the "straight scout" would be about 8 inches off the tree, and Wild Edge claims the perch is 7 3/4 inch deep... With a size 11 boot, do you feel like I would be able to execute my stand and rotate maneuver with either of these configurations?

Thanks in advance!

I know this isn't what you're asking about but I've been looking at similar options and for me I think smaller than the predator, I'm going to try my hand at a ROS. A small platform is great but I think in your situation you're going to find it's hard to accomplish that weak side shot the way you prefer. Just my opinion it may be possible. But for me with a size 13 boot, I'm going to try a ring of steps before hand.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I shot 3 deer this year on my “weak” side off a perch. 2 of them I stood up with back to the tree like you mention and the other I was hanging. I wear size 9.5 and am pretty thin (Might be harder if you got a spare tire around your hips). but it’s definitely possible. Just takes practice. I haven’t used a solo scout yet, but I definitely want to try one out. It’d be nice to get rid of the bulk of an extra WE step.

Back