• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Perfect hunting gloves

BTaylor

SH Member
@Ckwilli you mentioned gloves in the sock thread and I thought it was worth some discussion. I am continually looking for THE glove but havent found it yet. So far my favorite has been the sitka traverse glove. They have been great for cool to moderately cold weather but lacking once it gets cold. Would like to hear everyone's opnion on their favorite gloves.

Just a very thin pair of poly gloves for the entire season. Perfect for early season, put my hands in pockets for mid season, and use a hand warmer in a muff for late season. (Or a diagonal zip handwarmer pocket - Sitka fanatic or Gray wolf woolen jackets). If it’s exceptionally cold out I may wear one glo-mit on my left hand to hold the bow. Simple.

I borrowed a pair of the Sitka traverse gloves on a duck hunt and was pretty impressed. It was around 20 degrees but I keep my hands in the front of my waders so they worked well. My biggest concern is dexterity and that’s been my biggest issue in finding a good pair. Every pair that fits me seems to be about 1/2-1/4” too long in the thumbs. The best I’ve found so far are the Drake Waterfowl MST refuge gore tex but they are pricey. I also have a pair of Gates glove/mitten combos that are amazing but gates quit making them. I have a cheap pair of wool/fleece lined gloves that I use occasionally also. They have a bit of some sort of spandex thread that makes them a kinda stretchy. Now work gloves is a whole different rabbit trail! Lol

Just a very thin pair of poly gloves for the entire season. Perfect for early season, put my hands in pockets for mid season, and use a hand warmer in a muff for late season. (Or a diagonal zip handwarmer pocket - Sitka fanatic or Gray wolf woolen jackets). If it’s exceptionally cold out I may wear one glo-mit on my left hand to hold the bow. Simple.
I do the same thing with the muff with my bow and duck hunting. Glo-mits for gun season.

No gloves in the tree, I put my hands in pockets or a muff with hand warmers. Walking in, glomitts with a liner glove underneath.

IMG_0009.jpg
These are almost exactly like the gates I have. They have zipper pouches for hand warmers and lightweight gloves built into the inside. I bought my kids each a pair and they love them.

Light gloves, plus a hand muff, with a handwarmer in it. Drove myself nuts trying to find a glove thin enough to operate my rifle efficiently while being warm enough to stay out all day in MN rifle and ML seasons. I've got some heavy snowmobile mittens in my pack as well, but I'd need to shed them to shoot anything. I remember a Massad Ayoob (sp) article several years ago where his (Maine) PD used Mechanix-type gloves under heavy chopper mitts. Easy enough to drop the mitts if you expect things will get weird. That approach works for hunting, as well.

I have some full finger bicycle gloves that I keep in my fishing tackle bag and a pair of fingerless ones too. I will occasionally hunt with the full finger gloves. They are mostly spandex with a light fleece lining.

My hands get cold very easily and I usually go the route of the traverse while getting to and from the tree and usually keep one on my left hand through the hunt. I cant stand to have anything on my shooting hand either whether I am using compound or traditional. Normally just throw a hand warmer in my right pocket for that hand. When it gets cold, I will take a muff with a hand warmer. This year though I am going most likely be boating more than normal. I have 3-4 different pairs of heavy gloves but none that I am all that happy with.

I'm in the lightweight glove camp. Have muff when it's cold. Have been considering wearing a single large glove for walking in for my bow hand on longer walks.

My favorite are still a cheap pair of fleece like gloves I got from Meijer back In the day..they are light, warm, wind proof, and comfortable. But they are kinda falling apart. Haven't seen a pair like them since.

I have an old pair of Sitka ESW gloves that have half fingers only on the thumb and index. Great for early season or late plus a muff.

For late season the Cabelas goretex glomitts are hard to beat.

Wool fingerless gloves are my go to for most of my season. As with @Maverick1 I keep my hands in my pockets (or muff if really cold) most of the time on stand although I don't use handwarmers. I just don't like losing the tactile feel of my release through a pair of gloves.
Fingerless wool gloves & a muff are the way to go. And you'd be surprised how cold of temps you can get through with just the gloves

View attachment 88668
These are almost exactly like the gates I have. They have zipper pouches for hand warmers and lightweight gloves built into the inside. I bought my kids each a pair and they love them.
I have a pair of these as a backup for my gates gloves, however they are a distant second. The gates gloves are hands down, the best cold weather rifle gloves made. It is too bad they are no longer made. I will shed a tear when they are done and gone. The open thumb slit and the insulation is where the Hot Shots fall down.

I have a pair of these as a backup for my gates gloves, however they are a distant second. The gates gloves are hands down, the best cold weather rifle gloves made. I will shed a tear when they are done and gone. The open thumb slit and the insulation is where the Hot Shots fall down.
Yes, yes, and yes. There is a used pair of Gates on ebay right now.

Fingerless wool gloves & a muff are the way to go. And you'd be surprised how cold of temps you can get through with just the gloves
I didn’t wear gloves during waterfowl season for years. I just hated calling with gloves on and trying to load a shotgun. I would usually come home with my hands bleeding and would get a butt chewing from my better half. I wear gloves now.

Back