• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Permanent Platform for Saddle

DaWiz9578

So Ive decided next year, so late this winter early spring, Im going to pre set a few trees in my back woods. Right now Im climbing with my WE steps every time I go to the back, which heats me up and just more potential for noise. Just wondering if there are any clever or minimalist ideas for a permanent platform vs the old 2x4s screwed into the trees. Probably just use regular ameristep screw ins to get up unless someone else has something they have found works better/cheaper.

Got my cameras (3 total) soaking out there all season to try and better understand the movement. Its a small (~5 acres) patch of woods connecting to my neighbors thats roughly 40 acres total. We dont really hold deer, just catch them running through. Late this winter or early spring im going to do some tree management and maybe clear a few larger shooting lanes and pre set my trees.

So Ive decided next year, so late this winter early spring, Im going to pre set a few trees in my back woods. Right now Im climbing with my WE steps every time I go to the back, which heats me up and just more potential for noise. Just wondering if there are any clever or minimalist ideas for a permanent platform vs the old 2x4s screwed into the trees. Probably just use regular ameristep screw ins to get up unless someone else has something they have found works better/cheaper.

Got my cameras (3 total) soaking out there all season to try and better understand the movement. Its a small (~5 acres) patch of woods connecting to my neighbors thats roughly 40 acres total. We dont really hold deer, just catch them running through. Late this winter or early spring im going to do some tree management and maybe clear a few larger shooting lanes and pre set my trees.

Clear narrow shooting lanes in the direction of deer travel. They’ll take path of least resistance. As far as platforms, 20.00 hang on at academy on clearance is great!

Guess I shouldve mentioned there is already a path wide enough for me to run my zero turn down lined by trees on either side, but its so curvy youd be lucky to get a 5 or 10 yd shot on it. Guess Ill have to see what it looks like from 20 ft up.

I’ve considered taking 2 2x4s and 2 threaded rods and putting the wood on each side and tightening it onto the tree with the threaded rods. This is what I’ve seen them do for platforms for tree based adventure courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve considered taking 2 2x4s and 2 threaded rods and putting the wood on each side and tightening it onto the tree with the threaded rods. This is what I’ve seen them do for platforms for tree based adventure courses.

You attach it to the tree any way other than clamping the tree? The 2×4 route I was think something similar just with 2 more 2x4s instead of the rods just making a box. Guess the rods give more room for adjusting if needed.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

You attach it to the tree any way other than clamping the tree? The 2×4 route I was think something similar just with 2 more 2x4s instead of the rods just making a box. Guess the rods give more room for adjusting if needed.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Well personally I've never made a platform like this. When I was kid I nailed boards to the tree in the back yard for my tree fort. Tree is still there. Much of the fort is still there too 35 years later!

Sounds like the perfect time to use bolts, drill the trees in the summer and just slide them in as you climb. Bolts for ros too

Is a ring of steps comfortable? I would think resting your foot on a rod would begin to hurt after a while. I use 2 or 3 WE steps for my platform now but can usually get multiple contact points on one foot

I have no problem with them but I spend most of my time sitting so there isn’t much weight on my feet.

Is a ring of steps comfortable? I would think resting your foot on a rod would begin to hurt after a while. I use 2 or 3 WE steps for my platform now but can usually get multiple contact points on one foot

I use a ROS and the top of my stick (which I ratchet strap on). I’m mainly on the stick with my heals and my toes go to the steps at the sides. The ROS I only use it swinging around to the front of the tree.

Back