• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Picaridin vs DEET

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So I emptied my bottle of 98% DEET Saturday on an evening hog hunt. I planned to go squirrel hunting Sunday, and as I was talking to my wife riding home I mentioned that I was going to pick up a fresh bottle on my way back. She told me that we had another bottle of bug spray, and that I could just use it if I wanted to. I was tired, so I just drove straight home.

Turns out the bottle was a 5% picaridin solution. She bought it to test since she has sensitive skin. I had misgivings, but figured that it should be able to get me through a quick morning hunt.

Holy sh*tballs, was I wrong.

I swear on my mother's grave that stuff ATTRACTS bugs. I will lick between a hippy's toes before I EVER set foot in the woods with that stuff. I'm talking bug bites on top of bug bites. It felt like I had spritzed myself with chicken blood and jumped in a kiddie pool full of piranhas.

I got home, threw what was left of the bottle away (I'd used maybe half of it in 2 hours DESPERATELY trying to stave off the hordes), and drove straight to Wal-Mart to pick up the good stuff. Do not waste your money on this stuff.

Lol. I think permethrin helps with the skeeters to and the deer on top. If I’m sitting still I would turn on the thermacell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went all out and sprayed down with Off deepwoods sportsman and turned on the thermacell. Not a single bite and they've been horrible.

Went all out and sprayed down with Off deepwoods sportsman and turned on the thermacell. Not a single bite and they've been horrible.
Yeah, DEET may give me cancer one day, but there's an old historic park just south of me that has cemeteries full of folks that died of yellow fever and malaria.

I have several thermacells, but I find their efficiency is diminished if you're on the move, which is why I didn't bring one. I'd have given my shotgun away for one after about 15 minutes though.

Yeah, DEET may give me cancer one day, but there's an old historic park just south of me that has cemeteries full of folks that died of yellow fever and malaria.

I have several thermacells, but I find their efficiency is diminished if you're on the move, which is why I didn't bring one. I'd have given my shotgun away for one after about 15 minutes though.
LOL...yeah....them dang skeeters really know how to ruin the fun. I've also noticed less performance from thermacell while on the move, which is why I sprayed down first. Really liking that combination. I also had some sweaty deet run down my upper lip and into my mouth. I can definitely tell why it's not preferred in the mosquito community.

@Country your in Wisconsin right? I saw your pic of your first saddle sit and I thought no friggin way, no face mask and short sleeves? Up here we had 11” of rain in 5 days, I’m sure you got your share too. All the standing water and the upper 80’s/90’s = ridiculous mosquito numbers. I have never seen it so bad, EVER!
I went out Saturday evening around 4. Pulled into the parking spot and the truck was covered with them. Climbed into the back seat so I didn’t have to open the door. Changed into my permethrin treated camo, put on the saddle, pack, and grabbed my bow. On a mission I took off into the crp and was literally covered in hundreds of buzzing blood thirsty devils. You could just watch them rise from the weeds about 5’ ahead as they identified the victim they’ve been waiting for. They were so thick I was breathing them in. Now, I’ve hunted in some pretty bad mosquito conditions but never like this. I’m not talking hundreds of them, Im talking thousands, dare I say millions. Anyhow, I made it 75 yards from the truck and gave in. Went back to the truck and through my stuff in the back seat and took off, windows rolled down to get the pile of mosquitos out of the truck.
Went out last nite, different spot, similar conditions, a little more wind and was determined to make it in. I didn’t make it to the tree I had in mind but with the mosquitos and the giant oak raining down acorns I scurried up a nearby tree. Without a thermacell I would have never lasted. Didn’t see a thing but a bug swatting squirrel.

Any other Wisconsin hunters finding this years mosquitos worse than ever before?

Went to fleet for get some thermacell refills, nadda. Checked wallyworld and was told people have been calling from over an hour away and can’t find it anywhere. Good thing for amizon prime.

@Country your in Wisconsin right? I saw your pic of your first saddle sit and I thought no friggin way, no face mask and short sleeves? Up here we had 11” of rain in 5 days, I’m sure you got your share too. All the standing water and the upper 80’s/90’s = ridiculous mosquito numbers. I have never seen it so bad, EVER!
I went out Saturday evening around 4. Pulled into the parking spot and the truck was covered with them. Climbed into the back seat so I didn’t have to open the door. Changed into my permethrin treated camo, put on the saddle, pack, and grabbed my bow. On a mission I took off into the crp and was literally covered in hundreds of buzzing blood thirsty devils. You could just watch them rise from the weeds about 5’ ahead as they identified the victim they’ve been waiting for. They were so thick I was breathing them in. Now, I’ve hunted in some pretty bad mosquito conditions but never like this. I’m not talking hundreds of them, Im talking thousands, dare I say millions. Anyhow, I made it 75 yards from the truck and gave in. Went back to the truck and through my stuff in the back seat and took off, windows rolled down to get the pile of mosquitos out of the truck.
Went out last nite, different spot, similar conditions, a little more wind and was determined to make it in. I didn’t make it to the tree I had in mind but with the mosquitos and the giant oak raining down acorns I scurried up a nearby tree. Without a thermacell I would have never lasted. Didn’t see a thing but a bug swatting squirrel.

Any other Wisconsin hunters finding this years mosquitos worse than ever before?

Went to fleet for get some thermacell refills, nadda. Checked wallyworld and was told people have been calling from over an hour away and can’t find it anywhere. Good thing for amizon prime.

Lol...yeah Im in Wisconsin. I couldn't believe it myself. Deepwoods off and thermacell. Not a single bite. I may not be so lucky next time.

Last edited:
Back