• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Picked up a couple yesterday.

Pic1

SH Member
My excuse for getting the excersize I've been missing. Found them within the first couple hours, (pic of the left side where i literally first spotted it, right at my feet next to a bed, about 100yds from the other), nothing for the next three, but the start of some legs cramps. 7lb rubber boots not good for many miles. Learned a lot more about the area. Something I should have done before season open. I killed the twin brother to this matched pair first week of December, but had really been searching for his Daddy and now his horns. The search isn't done. Real low deer densities in this area, so I would have been happy to pick up even a single. Muzzloader pics are from Nov/Dec.20230114_132918_2_10.jpg20230114_133001_25.jpg20230114_141119_15.jpg20230114_141242_10.jpg20230114_145335_10.jpg20230114_151314_10.jpg20221130_112641_10.jpg20221130_113053_10.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy to see them shedding already. I've seen deer with both sides even into March here in Arkansas
Been strange year in my area. I think it has to do with lack of food. Little to no acorn crop. The few we had dropped late Sept early October.
Since then green fields and green briar has been the food source. The 8pt I got first week of Dec looked like greyhound when I skinned it. Zero fat. I guess it's fortunate we've not had snow this year knock wood.

I agree very much. We don't have the colder temps or the snows that make them work for their food, and I think that is a big driving factor of them holding longer as their "stress" is lower. Hunting in the snow is fun though but few and far between around here. Still time though as our archery season runs thru February 28th.

I have got several different bucks on camera every day now out behind my house and so far only one of the 8 pointers has dropped. There are 3 other 8's, a couple of smaller bucks and my target buck that's a 13 as far as I can tell. All of them still holding onto their horns.

Similar story here in my area… usually the majority of bucks hold their antlers till the end of the winter. This year most bucks shed before Dec 31.

I agree very much. We don't have the colder temps or the snows that make them work for their food, and I think that is a big driving factor of them holding longer as their "stress" is lower. Hunting in the snow is fun though but few and far between around here. Still time though as our archery season runs thru February 28th.
Wow, that has to be the longest season that I'm aware of. Have till Jan 31 in RI. Because I didn't pick any up in the area I searched last Sunday has me wanting to get back in a tree this weekend. Would like to put one more in the freezer.

Back