• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pictures and description of complete set up. Pack, camera arm, bow hanger and location on tree

Bruce G

So I finally got to spend more than 10 minutes in my sit drag. This was my first dry run. I have been hunting from my assault and millennium for years and have my system all dialed in. While most of my set up will remain the same a few things will need to be adjusted. In the past I put my pack on the stand seat to set up my camera arm and get situated. Often I will have outer layers strapped to my pack and put them on right before I am ready to hunt. I used the rope with a small Prussic like G2 demonstrates on YouTube to hang my pack on. I found that it was a bit awkward having my pack against the tree and reaching through my bridge and tether to unpack. Once I had my camera arm and bow hanger set up I lowered my pack below my camera arm and put it at 1:00. The camera arm I am using is the 3rd arm bandit. I found that my camera arm had to be right above where my knees would be if I was putting them against the tree. The base of the camera arm was @ 4:00. I then tried to move around and position myself with the camera to make shots. Strong side was fine. For the weak side I found that standing on the platform and putting my back to the tree was the best way to get the camera in place and set up for the shot. Not much different than if I was on my assault. That 12:00/1:00 shot was where I had the most trouble. You can’t really shoot tight to the tree on your weak side if your camera arm is on the tree at 2:00 or 3:00. It just gets in the way. You can push the camera arm counter clockwise around the back of the tree then swing around the strong side to shoot and film behind the tree. I found that was easier. Strong side with my left knee against the tree was just solid. The tree did have some angle to it so swinging around the back would be difficult without a bolt back there. It can be done both ways but one is more difficult then the other and one involves more movement. Next time out I will try to put the camera arm at 1:00 to see if that helps. I understand that it all depends on how long each section of your camera arm is and the diameter of the tree. I’ll have to get used to these fine adjustments. I did adjust my tether height a few times. Seems like just above my head is best but it’s still not as comfortable as I’d like. No way I’d want to sit all day with it the way it is. Hopefully my mantis will be here soon so I can really get an idea of comfort. Another problem I had was my bridge doesn’t slide through my carabiner with the camo form applied. I’m using a LW strap maybe the amsteel will slide better? I know it’s not recommended to use the LW strap it’s all I had so it’s what I used. I am still clipped into my rock climbing harness so I’m not worried. I will attach some pictures of how I was set up. With all the new saddle hunters I thought it would be helpful if we posted pictures and explained exactly how you are setting up on the tree. What you hang your pack on. Where you hang it. What you hang your bow on and where you place the hanger. What camera arm you use. Where you mount it. You get the point. I think this could be very helpful to not only the new guys but to the guys that are getting into filming this year. I will update this post with whatever changes I make to my system to make things work for me and I hope you guys will do the same. I know the benefits of saddle hunting are worth the effort so I will stick with it. I’m hoping we can all help each other to shorten the learning curve.

Attachments

• 012E8888-4555-4EB4-8EF6-FF1C4FE635E9.jpeg
    012E8888-4555-4EB4-8EF6-FF1C4FE635E9.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 71D383DB-216E-4D90-BA34-A4BB54DE5A42.jpeg
    71D383DB-216E-4D90-BA34-A4BB54DE5A42.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 110
  • BFC580DC-EE4B-4B67-955E-7E7FD10DBC56.jpeg
    BFC580DC-EE4B-4B67-955E-7E7FD10DBC56.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 114
  • F83F1DF3-172E-4E27-AE9A-AE5C3B086BCD.jpeg
    F83F1DF3-172E-4E27-AE9A-AE5C3B086BCD.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 112
  • C6F04A27-763F-4035-86DB-1BF97F7B4AD9.jpeg
    C6F04A27-763F-4035-86DB-1BF97F7B4AD9.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
One other thing. I have watched every saddle hunting video on YouTube. I know some of these things have been addressed and they have helped me a lot. Just figured seeing pictures and having everyone walk through there set up would be helpful. Thanks in advance guys.

Back