• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

pink salt #1 question

Will Harris

SH Member
when you use pink salt, don't you need to
1) either use an accelerator so you can smoke right away OR
2) let sit in fridge over night so the cure can get to work?

i bought a kit from the bearded butchers and they use #1 in the mix and no advertised accelerator but then smoke right away. and even starts eating it right off the smoker.

thanks for the help

I'm pretty sure that's correct, yes you either need an accelerator or time for the cure to penetrate the meat. Are you making whole muscle or ground ? Looking at the jerky kits some have citric acid which I believe is an accelerator

So I have been doing a lot of sausage/ charcuterie this year and found that the product is much better when you let it cure overnight if you do not have the time you can add this or equivalent to the mix

The Sausage Maker- Sodium Erythorbate for Sausage Making and Meat Curing, Half-Pound Container https://a.co/d/4p80zUk

The Citric acid is for that “ tangy flavor “ summer sausages/snack sticks have.

I have would also recommend stuffing them then let them cure in the casing.

Not an expert but this has worked for me in the past.

So I have been doing a lot of sausage/ charcuterie this year and found that the product is much better when you let it cure overnight if you do not have the time you can add this or equivalent to the mix

The Sausage Maker- Sodium Erythorbate for Sausage Making and Meat Curing, Half-Pound Container https://a.co/d/4p80zUk

The Citric acid is for that “ tangy flavor “ summer sausages/snack sticks have.

I have would also recommend stuffing them then let them cure in the casing.

Not an expert but this has worked for me in the past.

Thanks for reply.

I have done kits and they all say case and refrigerate overnight. All the stuff ive seen on pink salt says refrigerate overnight or add accelerator. Just confused.

Im done with kits and will freeze my remaining meat for grinding in small batches so i can experiment this winter. Ill get some eca and bulk pink salt and start playing. The bearded butchers have a ton of good content on YouTube so i sent them some $$.

Been watching Chuds bbq a lot also. Strange dude but seems to really know his stuff and tries to help us newbies.

Any other YouTubers yall like? I have a ton of meat ive already ground and mixed 80/20 but still have about 35# of whitetail in chunks.

Thanks for reply.

I have done kits and they all say case and refrigerate overnight. All the stuff ive seen on pink salt says refrigerate overnight or add accelerator. Just confused.

Im done with kits and will freeze my remaining meat for grinding in small batches so i can experiment this winter. Ill get some eca and bulk pink salt and start playing. The bearded butchers have a ton of good content on YouTube so i sent them some $$.

Been watching Chuds bbq a lot also. Strange dude but seems to really know his stuff and tries to help us newbies.

Any other YouTubers yall like? I have a ton of meat ive already ground and mixed 80/20 but still have about 35# of whitetail in chunks.

Yes the Bearded Butchers have some very good stuff “ deer bacon recipe “, and Brad with Chuds is very helpful I use his ratios the most. I have been watching 2 Guys & a Cooler, Age of Anderson, Smokin’ Joe’s Pit BBQ. Are a couple I like to watch and get ideas from.

Back