• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Planning first out of state hunt

SETXsportsman6

Hi everyone, I'm planning my first out of state hunt this year in Missouri. I missed the draw for Kansas so my backup plan was Missouri. Looking towards the last weekend of October-first week of November. Approx 7 days. Looking at the southern part of Missouri as I know some folks that are in the area and are going to help me get my feet wet when we arrive.

With that being said, I've never hunted outside of Texas. Generally flat land where I've spent majority of my time hunting with a few hunts in slightly more hilly terrain. I have a book about Mapping whitetails that had plenty of information about thermals, etc. So I will definitely be studying that. If anyone else has any resources that will help in that aspect so I can better understand the wind in this type of terrain it would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I'm planning to tent camp if the weather permits. I've wanted to get back into camping (haven't done it since I was in high school). I've been spoiled to my deer camp cabin for the past several years. If anyone has any suggestions as far as tents, sleeping bags, what to look for, what to avoid that would be much appreciated. I've considered truck camping but with the likelihood of having a buddy or two in camp with me, and having a short bed truck and being 6'4" I don't think that is necessarily our best option.
Lastly, being from Texas it's hot. It's always hot. Even when it's cold, it's rarely very cold. I don't know much about the weather in Missouri around late October early November. I will look at previous weather data but if anyone can give me some insight as to what I could expect that would be appreciated as well!

Hammock... tents are for the birds lol!

I’m also thinking of getting a MO tag this year. Live in Kansas now but grew up in MO and that’s where the family all is. Figured I could do some hunting with a few buddies when we go visit family.

I’ve been dying to do a week long by river hunt. Kayak down the current river and stop and hunt a location and keep moving down river until I find a too hot to move signs or have success.

What area of southern MO are you looking?

I was really wanting to do my first OOS hunt this year but not sure it will pan out. Was planning on doing a MD sika deer hunt with my dad and brother. With all of the COVID craziness and unpredictability, I'm honestly not planning that far ahead. If it quiets down, I may try to do something but a trip like the sika would require a ton of planning. I already had 3 in state turkey hunting trips get cancelled this year because of all the mess.

I thought about a hammock, but never have slept in one and not sure what the camping sights have to offer.

It’s Missouri and Mark Twain trees are everywhere! Definitely miss that being in Kansas. Bull shoals is a sweet lake I’ve done some spear fishing there. Most of my hunting in MO was on private so can’t help too much of those areas. You will find some steep hills and lots of trees to climb.

I've done some OOS trips like this with more failures than successes, but always a good adventure. Some things I like to do:

1) Scouting trips. Spring is better but I usually end up going in Sept sometime. Short trips can be used to figure out your camping situation, or hotel situation. I found a mom & pop hotel that gives me a room for $200/week and it's actually decent not a methhouse. Ask around. Oct/Nov is actually a dead time for some hotels, deals can be made.

2) Use scouting trips to figure out hunting locations. Map out trails and approaches with a gps mapping app. Clear shooting lanes. Get some saddle practice in. Hang cams and lock them to trees up high.

3) Plan to hit some of those locations well before first light. I will actually record on video the walk from an obvious people trail spot to a hunt location, and review it the night before.

I use a 10x14 ozark tent from Walmart, $100. It’s big! I have a couple clothes totes in there, a table with microwave , cooler, bow case, and a single air mattress. If you’re doing multiple days you want to be fairly comfy and have your stuff spread out. I bring a heated blanket for cold days. That time of year, you could be sweating in mid to low 70s or could have a good snap and be down around high 20s. Last year I think it got to 9 degrees the first week of November. I chipped on of my teeth when I was sleeping, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4a93e69ca0cf63a3d16e98740e147ce1.jpg

Reactions: MEB
I use a 10x14 ozark tent from Walmart, $100. It’s big! I have a couple clothes totes in there, a table with microwave , cooler, bow case, and a single air mattress. If you’re doing multiple days you want to be fairly comfy and have your stuff spread out. I bring a heated blanket for cold days. That time of year, you could be sweating in mid to low 70s or could have a good snap and be down around high 20s. Last year I think it got to 9 degrees the first week of November. I chipped on of my teeth when I was sleeping, lol

Yeah so I'm going to make sure to have extra cash on hand for the trip. I ain't sleeping in a tent in 9 degrees I don't believe I've ever even felt 9 degrees lmao

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What about like a wood heater for a tent have you ever tried those out? That would make it a hell of a lot better.

I’ve brought along a mr buddy propane heater for those really cold nights in the tent. Works well enough to take the nip off. I’ll say that a camp is the way to go, way less driving when you’re staying on the property you can hunt rather than a hotel.

I’ve brought along a mr buddy propane heater for those really cold nights in the tent. Works well enough to take the nip off. I’ll say that a camp is the way to go, way less driving when you’re staying on the property you can hunt rather than a hotel.
I would much prefer to camp. But I'll have to see what kind of gear I can round up before then

I have a little 4x6 utility trailer that I’ve been tempted to turn it Into a little teardrop style camper for some out of state stuff.
Man if I already had my shop built I would be totally into doing a project like this. Pop up camper or a utility trailer converted. Either would be cool for sure!

Another option would be to camp in your truck or car. If you can comfortably lay down that might not be too bad. And a built in heater if you wake up cold in the night!

Another option would be to camp in your truck or car. If you can comfortably lay down that might not be too bad. And a built in heater if you wake up cold in the night!
I've thought about that. But at 6'4" finding comfort in a half ton truck doesn't come easy. I need another diesel and then I'd for sure be truck camping

I've thought about that. But at 6'4" finding comfort in a half ton truck doesn't come easy. I need another diesel and then I'd for sure be truck camping
I’m 6’2 and camped in the back seat of my truck for one night turkey hunting. I’m here to tell you if for 1 or 2 nights max id do it again but ill tell you it’s hell being a big guy in a little truck.

I got a 6x14 ft trailer I’ve thought about converting the front portion into a camp to do some out of state hunting but leave enough room for a 4-wheeler to be loaded up on the back. I’ve been thinking about doing a Missouri hunt for the past 2 years now just can’t make myself commit to it yet.

Back