• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform or Ring of Steps for 300+

KAdams944

I did some searching and didn't find a post relating to this. I am 6'3" 300lbs. I plan to use my API alumi sticks to get 20' up in the tree, but looking for a platform or possibly a ring of step that can handle the 300+ weight rating.

I just ran across Artisan Outdoor Fabrications & Metal Craft and considered mounting one of those platforms to the top of the API Outdoors Alumi-Tech 20' QuikStik.

6'2" and 295 here. I use the bull man ROS without any problems.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I spoke with the guys at Eastern Woods Outdoors. I thought about trying the UP Platform on top of one of their sticks. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I use 4 Treehopper steps on a strap, gives me great ring of steps and do not feel any slippage from weight.

I am dieting and losing some weight but I am about the same size as you guys and using the Mission platform I have no problems Plenty solid and stable for me

I would definitely pick up a ROS out of the classifieds and trying them out before you get your mind set. I am 6'3" 250ish, but size 14/15 boot. I could not find a single ROS that was comfortable. I tried doubling up, different steps, and all kinds of things. I finally ended up going with the Mission and have not looked back.

I have the wild edge perch, it is about that size, I like it. I also use the bull man and squirrel steps, I like them. We also tried a step up with a full sized hang on with screw in steps behind it, it was fun, but not what I would want to carry in or install.

The key so far has not been the foot rest. It keeps coming back to footwear. I tend to sit for a while, stand for a while, maybe sit and nap for 20, stand back up, move to the other side when the sun comes around after noon, and repeat until night. Early season sucks as they might come through, they might be on the other side of the fields on either side of my creek bottom woods. But, regardless, if my boots are firm I can stand, if I used a muck type boot my feet hurt standing. Ground blind or ladder stand, it works the other way around.

I like the look of the Bull Man ROS. I think I may try it. Do you use the "Silent Approach Steps" or the "Pioneer Steps"?
The silent approach. I might try the pioneer this next year, still on the fence about them. I have spent years getting all metal on metal noise gone, so I would have to wrap them, find a wrap I like, and then unwrap what I didn't like to rewrap them.

Now, I did use the silent approach steps for climbing 1 year, it felt like using screw in steps on a weak wood. We are starting 2TC with the ROS this year. We will still keep the Helium's with aiders as our backup.

Do the best of both worlds and put 2 or 3 steps on your platform strap. My cam buckle cinches them all down tight and I absolutely love it, I love being able to turn around to pee(I drink lots of water).
Not to side track brother, but I’ve lost a bunch of weight with intermittent fasting. Toughest part is not eating breakfast…..drink some coffee, and lots of water, lots. Pick one time of the day ,( I eat right before bed), and eat all and whatever you want. I know quite a few folks who have great success with it and I feel better tha; I have in decades…..I’m 55 BTW, ALWAYS been a 215-235#er. I am now 185-190 and wearing a 32-33”.

I know you probably don't know yet but what is your preference for setting up everything once at height.

For me, I like having a solid platform to stand on while setting up or tearing down my gear strap and everything else. While a ROS could work, I'd still be hanging off of my tether during setup. Once setup though, a ROS would be preferable as I only use the edge of the platform. In short, a ROS would work for me 95% of the time but the convenience of a platform the other 5% is worth it.

Do the best of both worlds and put 2 or 3 steps on your platform strap. My cam buckle cinches them all down tight and I absolutely love it, I love being able to turn around to pee(I drink lots of water).
Not to side track brother, but I’ve lost a bunch of weight with intermittent fasting. Toughest part is not eating breakfast…..drink some coffee, and lots of water, lots. Pick one time of the day ,( I eat right before bed), and eat all and whatever you want. I know quite a few folks who have great success with it and I feel better tha; I have in decades…..I’m 55 BTW, ALWAYS been a 215-235#er. I am now 185-190 and wearing a 32-33”.
I have thought about putting steps on the platform strap, I like the idea and I think I will try it. I haven't decided on a platform or steps I did buy a Recon Saddle. I am currently searching for some sticks, but also considered trying bolts.

It's funny you mention intermittent fasting. I starting doing it about 6 weeks ago on the advice of my doctor. I find it fairly easy to follow, and I am down a few pounds.

I have thought about putting steps on the platform strap, I like the idea and I think I will try it. I haven't decided on a platform or steps I did buy a Recon Saddle. I am currently searching for some sticks, but also considered trying bolts.

It's funny you mention intermittent fasting. I starting doing it about 6 weeks ago on the advice of my doctor. I find it fairly easy to follow, and I am down a few pounds.
Get you some brother!
1ros on each side of platform will get you around he tree. I put two on my strong side and 1 on the other. My steps are hawk monkey bars and I love them! I’m just not an ROS purist…..I like my platform!

Starting today. LOL

I never tried a platform. Used old steel strap on but hated the cables it was heavy but solid. Does the larger platform feel as good? Can bigger guys stand and take that backward shot? I use Wei Stepps, but I can't take that shot. I have to spin around the tree,

The silent approach. I might try the pioneer this next year, still on the fence about them. I have spent years getting all metal on metal noise gone, so I would have to wrap them, find a wrap I like, and then unwrap what I didn't like to rewrap them.

Now, I did use the silent approach steps for climbing 1 year, it felt like using screw in steps on a weak wood. We are starting 2TC with the ROS this year. We will still keep the Helium's with aiders as our backup.

This is gonna be my first year in a saddle and this is what I’ve come to also, gonna 2tc on the madrock w/canyon 9mm an a tether from the starter kit,, an squirrel stepps, have the one stick and can do it, but like I read somewhere on here just the other day, I understand why it’s the best and why some don’t do it,, lol, so I want to get into much better shape before that is my go to!

Sorry I meant to put in that post I can put my weight on squirrel stepps an adjust my saddle an it takes playing with but they get good an solid for putting your weight on to adjust your saddle quickly

Saddle hunting is very individually specific. Unfortunately this means spending a lot of money before you find the system that is perfect for you. For example, I now have ROS, Ridge Runner and Hawk Helium HSP. They are all good but not quite the best option for me for various reasons. I'm thinking very seriously about purchasing the perch in the next couple of weeks.

My experience is I find myself in a cycle of buying something, trying it out and if I don't like it sell it (at small loss) and get something else.

For me, out of the above 3, I liked the ROS the least. The reason is I just didn't feel as secure with them as I do with a platform. But that is totally my insecurities, and the main key to staying comfortable in the saddle is confidence with your equipment.

For fairness I'll list my reasons for not liking the 3 platforms mentioned here since they are all really good systems, just not for me.

1.) ROS (Don't feel secure on them)
2.) Ridge Runner (Weight and bulk. Spec say weighs 56oz but with the bulk feels like more to me.)
3.) Hawk Helium HSP (Mine doesn't fit as tight so has a very minor wobble and noise.)

Back