• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform Steps silencing question

Smokinya1

I have 4 Game Tracker strap on steps I'm going to use for my platform along with the top step of my climbing sticks. The steps are made of a hard plastic and make noise when bumped together in the setup stage and also while attached to the tree with a ratchet strap they make a slight squeak sound on occasion when I put weight on them. Thought about covering them with some type of tape or felt type material but don't really think it would hold up well so I have been thinking of trying to coat them with some type of rubber spray or possibly bed liner spray ! !

What have you guys used?

I would look into what DaveT suggested in one of his videos. I think he used stealth strips not sure. Me personally I just wrap a piece of that wire rope made by HAWK around the steps. It acts as a giant twist tie, place strap around the tree and secure till taught but with a little slack. I then untwist it with one hand and space steps out.

I have 4 Game Tracker strap on steps I'm going to use for my platform along with the top step of my climbing sticks. The steps are made of a hard plastic and make noise when bumped together in the setup stage and also while attached to the tree with a ratchet strap they make a slight squeak sound on occasion when I put weight on them. Thought about covering them with some type of tape or felt type material but don't really think it would hold up well so I have been thinking of trying to coat them with some type of rubber spray or possibly bed liner spray ! !

What have you guys used?

I show how I do it in my video on my you tube channel, I just slip a small sock over every other step. Cheap and effective

What about using one of those camo or black beverage cozys? I have a friend who does that over his carabiners and Ropeman 1 to avoid making noise I don't see why it wouldn't work for the steps as well. Then if you wanted to you could cover the carabiner and Ropeman 1 like he does it would do double duty! I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Roger

Dave what size lag are you putting through the steps I have experienced that as well where they tend to move on me when I walk around the tree I would like to try that myself.

Thanks,

Roger

I am not sure, think they were like an inch long and smallest size I could find in the shop. Maybe 5/16? I tried wood deck screws but those broke off so I went to something heavier.

Back