• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform to sticks orientation

Tom Karrow

As a new to be saddle hunter... I have a Kestral coming and an Ernie kit, I am wondering what people do for the set-up of the platform once at height on the sticks. I will be using LW sticks that I already have and have used for many years.

Do you, place your platform above the highest step?

Do you, place your platform beside the highest step on the top stick?

Do you, place your platform down a bit from the top step?

Do you set your "hang line" before moving to the platform/ before leaving your sticks or after you move to your platform?

Other?

I would love to see some pics at height of this setup orientation. IE your feet on a platform and where the top stick is in relation to your platform. I realize tree structure may affect it, but in general...

Thanks in advance!
Tom

I use ameristeps. I set them up about 16-18" above my top step and step up to them. Once I'm on my platform I hook up my tether, hook up my bridge and transfer weight from my Ernie's linesman to my sitdrag. Then I hook my linesman in my tether and set my back support.
After that it's just a matter of waiting for a target to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is a right or wrong except this.

Always make sure you're tied in ground 2 ground.

Other than that, it's personal preference.

I'm a gun hunter. I use two ameristep rapid rails with aiders. That gets me up 12-15'. I use strap on ameristeps at the same height.
If I want more height I'll bring along another rail. I like the secure feeling of being able to hold the sides of the rail.
I use a climbing rope as my tether. I hook in on the ground and move it up and down the tree with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most guys are trying to get as high as possible so stepping up slightly is probably most common. Hook up your tether once you get up on your platform.

I try to stay consistent with every set up, less chance for messing up. If I am using climbing sticks or screw in steps, or ladder type steps to go up. I put them on the right side of where I want my platform (assassin, or Ernie platform), then my platform is usually a half step (distance of my previous steps) above the last step. If I am in a short stay set up with just the ameristep strap/steps, they are a half step higher than my previous steps too with the cam or ratchet on my right. I usually stay in my climbing belt set up until I am all done setting up and standing in my hunting position, then transition over to tether and bridge.
My advice would be to practice before season what works best for you and be consistent.

With the LW sticks I guess it makes most sense to place the platform on the opposite side as the last step so a person steps naturally with their free leg.
Thanks, guys
T

Sounds good, When using sticks I use 3 to 5 muddy pro. sticks so my top step is double. When I use screw ins or bolts, I plan ahead at the bottom of tree so my last step is with my right foot so I step on the platform with my left foot. Just habit.

Back