• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform with Wild Edge/Silent Approach steps

alanbrekke

Hello,

I am from MN and just joined the forum. I am new to saddles and recently got a Kestrel and am feeling pretty comfortable with everything.
I am however still trying to find my preferred platform.
I attached some Silent Approach steps to the rope of a Wild Edge step to imitate a ring of steps without having a noisy rachet strap. It seems pretty stable.
Has anyone tried anything like this and did it work?

Thanks,
Al

Attachments

• PlatformAttempt.jpg
    PlatformAttempt.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for your help. Do you ever use a large enough tree where you need 3? When I tried setting 3 stepps at the same level it became difficult with all of the overlapping ropes. If 2 tends to be enough stepps then I am trying to fix something here that doesn't need fixing.

Thanks,
Al

Setting 3 is a pain. I've never gotten the hang of it. On 99% of the trees I hunt 2 is enough to get a full range of shot options. I would strongly encourage you to play with it a bit and see for yourself.

If I'm using stepps, that's all I tote. No extras. I'd rather spend an extra minute picking a suitable tree than fooling with a platform or ring of steps. I'm right at 10lbs with a modded kestrel, ropes, and a set of 8. Everything packs in a small backpack.

I don't use stepps for my platform, but FWIW you don't want your platform to be completely level around the tree. You want whatever platform you use to get progressively higher as you go around the tree so you can still reach it as your tether shortens.

Back