• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Poison ivy treatments.

larryledwards

Another thread on here brought up the topic of poison ivy and how bad it can get. Most of us come in to contact with the poisonous plants in our woodsy adventures. I've found that by showering with this soap after all my outdoor adventures keeps the oil from activating and spreading. It works as advertised. It even helps drastically reduce, control and heal active breakouts. Hope this helps some of y'all out.

TECNU changed my life. But seriously, it’s awesome. You can buy the original in 32oz bottles online, much cheaper than buying at your local pharmacy.

The all natural jewel weed option looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TECNU changed my life. But seriously, it’s awesome. You can buy the original in 32oz bottles online, much cheaper than buying at your local pharmacy.

The all natural jewel weed option looks interesting.

Another Vote for TECNU. It was developed for Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Decontamination. Radioactive materials forms protein bonds just like the oils from Poison Ivy. It works well. Keep a bottle around the house at all times.

I got a very bad case this summer - weed-wacked some I didn't spot and avoid, and the sap went all over my lower legs. I had blisters/hives, rash, constant itching.

I immediately washed with dawn - like, SCRUBBED for half an hour, switching out washcloths as I went, when I saw what had happened. That didn't stop it.
I washed with jewelweed soap and other home remedies and found it didn't do much at all for me.
Tecnu provided temporary relief, but only temporary.
I used a spray-bottle with witch-hazel in it when itching flared up, and that helped too, temporarily.

What ended up working was a daily light scrub with tecnu, and 2x daily application of a prescription steroid cream. Itching left within a few days, and my prescription ran out after about 2 weeks, but it had stopped itching. I still had blisters coming up, but the tecnu by itself was enough by then. The big red rash areas didn't fade for months, but are gone now.

I got a very bad case this summer - weed-wacked some I didn't spot and avoid, and the sap went all over my lower legs. I had blisters/hives, rash, constant itching.

I immediately washed with dawn - like, SCRUBBED for half an hour, switching out washcloths as I went, when I saw what had happened. That didn't stop it.
I washed with jewelweed soap and other home remedies and found it didn't do much at all for me.
Tecnu provided temporary relief, but only temporary.
I used a spray-bottle with witch-hazel in it when itching flared up, and that helped too, temporarily.

What ended up working was a daily light scrub with tecnu, and 2x daily application of a prescription steroid cream. Itching left within a few days, and my prescription ran out after about 2 weeks, but it had stopped itching. I still had blisters coming up, but the tecnu by itself was enough by then. The big red rash areas didn't fade for months, but are gone now.

TECNU makes products to go on the rash once you have it but the real hero is the original product that removes the oil and prevents the rash. Once you have a rash it sucks regardless.

So I dont normally get it. One year I was hunting with my father in law on an old home built tree stand. It was all overgrown and about 11:30 I decided to whip out the BFK and start clearing around the stand. It was on the edge of a soy bean field. So for about an hour I chopped vines and bushes off the stand and went and dumped the choppings in the ditch in the bean field. I was working up a sweat wiping my face. Nature Called and I walked to the other end of the field so I could take a leak without contaminating the spot I would be hunting the next couple of days. I had only been in Virginia for a year or so. Out in California we only ever had to worry about poison oak.

Later that day I am telling my Father in Law and he starts laughing telling me all that vine I was chopping was poison Ivy...... I figured he was joking on me..... Well about 3 days later my hand break out with massive clusters of tiny blisters. It was bad! Caused cracking between my fingers. That was also not the only place I got it. It was everywhere. I normally could walk through that stuff and I may get a little line of blisters. Well there is a point when your hands are covered in the vine liquid where there is no return. I learned about Technu that week. Worst week of my life. Looked like the Elephant Man on my hands, face and other parts.

TECNU stuff is awesome. I use the regular stuff if I think I came in contact with any poison. The extreme works really well if you develop the rash & they have a spray that I like to put on if it starts itching during the day, seems to take away the itch pretty well. I also got a big tub of prescription steroid cream last time I had to go get a shot for it - I knew the doctor & he said he'd give me the big tub since I was likely to get poison again in the future. Using this combo of stuff has worked great for me seems to do a pretty good job of preventing poison/making it dry out & go away quickly if it does show up.

Back