• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pole Saw Recommendations

Looking to get a new pole saw. The one I bought from Tractor Supply for $50 about 8 years ago finally snapped. I didn’t like it because the extension slipped easily. Looking for one that doesn’t slip, is semi heavy duty, At least 15’ long, and not gonna break while I’m a mile into the woods prepping a tree. Recommendations?

I don't have a pole saw from them but Silky makes some great saws in general. I would definitely give them a look

Wicked Tree Gear. They are not cheap but I have had mine for about 6 years and it has worked great. The company owner died in a tragic ORV accident and the company just got sold so I don't know if their quality will continue but I have their ultralight pole saw and I highly recommend it.

Hooyman has a 14’ pole saw for $45. Free shipping as well I think. If you have military/first responder credentials, you can buy through ExpertVoice at a discount.

Hooyman has a 14’ pole saw for $45. Free shipping as well I think. If you have military/first responder credentials, you can buy through ExpertVoice at a discount.
I checked this out and I like it. No lopper and pull rope, but I can live without that if it has a good saw. I can't find it on their website, but seems like Hooyman parts might be made in the USA? Some reviews on the Lowe's website about the Fiskars and Corona poles are calling them "Chinese made junk" and saying parts break or bend easily.

I don't have a pole saw from them but Silky makes some great saws in general. I would definitely give them a look
I never heard of Silky Saws until your post and took a look. They look awesome but are out of my desired price range with their price tag of $200 - $550. A few years down the road I might spring for a 20' one of these. A 20' pole would allow cutting 26'-27' off the ground, which would cover just about any branch that gets in the way from my preferred 35' hunting height.

I checked this out and I like it. No lopper and pull rope, but I can live without that if it has a good saw. I can't find it on their website, but seems like Hooyman parts might be made in the USA? Some reviews on the Lowe's website about the Fiskars and Corona poles are calling them "Chinese made junk" and saying parts break or bend easily.
X5 on this saw , I can’t afford to buy once cry once on everything. I’m sure there’s better options but at the price point it’s prepped a lot of trees in the last 5-7 years & id call that a good rate of return

Ivr been trimming trees as work recently and we got the 16ft Fiskar from the depot to replace the old junky 1 we had.....the blade it good and makes fast clean cuts, the loppers side is junk, and the oval aluminum telescope pole is great if u never have any sideload on it.....I had the oval pole collapse on itself...if this happens u can disassemble and cut the bad section of pole out and drill new stop holes....ours started at 16ft and now is more like a 12ft.....I'm glad I got to Guinea pig on the company dime cause I learned I won't be buying the fiskar

I thought they were made in the USA but it looks like they source to China. Figures at that price point. That sucks!

I got a 5' hooyman and a buddy has a 10. 5 isn't bad but 10 the arm isnt stiff enough to get alotta good pressure on the limb to saw. Better off just carry a Husqvarna and cut the whole tree down. Works better

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I ordered the 14’ Hooyman. $57.34 shipped. Of the ones under $100 it looks like it has the best System to lock the extensions (with the lever system Hooyman uses). Thanks for everyone’s input.

Hooymans are way overrated and very high priced IMO.
I've had two and the both broke within one season of prepping trees.
I got a 2 pole version at home depot that has lasted 8 years and still going. I got extra blades for it and although it doesn't take down, its still easy to carry in and out and has better reach when fully extended than the hooy.

Back