• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Position on the tree in relation to deer travel routes

KeithinPA

Hi All, I'm new to both Saddle Hunting and this forum. I've been hunting out of a saddle this year and think it's the absolute best thing to come along for those of us that want to get off the beaten track. The one thing I'm struggling with is how to set up in relation to anticipated deer travel routes. For simplicity's sake, lets say I'm a right handed shooter and, using the face of a watch to express direction, am expecting travel to go from 0900 to 0300. If I set up at 0600 directly behind the tree I'm faced with either hoping that I get a shot directly in front of me to get a broadside target or I need to finagle my bow over the bridge for a quartering away shot. If I position on the tree at 0700 or 0800 to better my opportunities at a broadside or quartering away shot then I loose the ability to hide behind the tree and if I don't have good back cover I'm much more likely to get picked off. Do you position yourself at 0900 so you have the trunk to break your outline? What is everyone's recommendation?

I’m relatively new but shot my first from a saddle this year. Moving the bow over/under the bridge isn’t a dealbreaker. I practiced it and it’s relatively quick and painless. I tend to set up by trying to minimize the weak side shots more than anything because that leads to even more movement. Hiding behind the tree is a big advantage but not critical imo.

Hi All, I'm new to both Saddle Hunting and this forum. I've been hunting out of a saddle this year and think it's the absolute best thing to come along for those of us that want to get off the beaten track. The one thing I'm struggling with is how to set up in relation to anticipated deer travel routes. For simplicity's sake, lets say I'm a right handed shooter and, using the face of a watch to express direction, am expecting travel to go from 0900 to 0300. If I set up at 0600 directly behind the tree I'm faced with either hoping that I get a shot directly in front of me to get a broadside target or I need to finagle my bow over the bridge for a quartering away shot. If I position on the tree at 0700 or 0800 to better my opportunities at a broadside or quartering away shot then I loose the ability to hide behind the tree and if I don't have good back cover I'm much more likely to get picked off. Do you position yourself at 0900 so you have the trunk to break your outline? What is everyone's recommendation?
Which way is the tree leaning? I climb up a rope hanging from the low side since I will swing to that side anyway.

For this discussion let's remove the variables of leaning, branches, back cover, etc. This is just simply how best to position for a shot from the saddle in the above scenario and how you experienced saddle jockeys set yourselves for the best shot options.

I’m relatively new but shot my first from a saddle this year. Moving the bow over/under the bridge isn’t a dealbreaker. I practiced it and it’s relatively quick and painless. I tend to set up by trying to minimize the weak side shots more than anything because that leads to even more movement. Hiding behind the tree is a big advantage but not critical imo.
Thanks for the reply Muzzy. Do you always position yourself in a way to put the tree between you and the deer if all other things are equal?

I always try to get the tree directly in between me and the deer. So if the deer will pass from 9 to 3, I would be at 3 o clock on the tree. The problem this poses is it presents a weak side shot. This is why practice is important

saddle this year and think it's the absolute best thing to come along for those of us that want to get off the beaten track. The one thing I'm struggling with is how to set up in relation to anticipated deer travel routes. For simplicity's sake, lets say I'm a right handed shooter and, using the face of a watch to express direction, am expecting travel to go from 0900 to 0300. If I set up at 0600 directly behind the tree I'm faced with either hoping that I get a shot directly in front of me to get a broadside target or I need to finagle my bow over the bridge for a quartering away shot. If I position on the tree at 0700 or 0800 to better my opportunities at a broadside or quartering away shot then I loose the ability to hide behind the tree and if I don't have good back cover I'm much
I try to put my back toward where they won't be, and my strong side to where they will be

(as best I can choose my position, and as best as I can choose where the deer come from...)

At times (even most of the time) the angle/cover in the tree will determine orientation.

I always try to get the tree directly in between me and the deer. So if the deer will pass from 9 to 3, I would be at 3 o clock on the tree. The problem this poses is it presents a weak side shot. This is why practice is important
That makes sense I suppose. Then it would probably be best to hang your bow on the right hand side so you don't have to cross the bridge?

I try to put my back toward where they won't be, and my strong side to where they will be

(as best I can choose my position, and as best as I can choose where the deer come from...)

At times (even most of the time) the angle/cover in the tree will determine orientation.
Seems like everyone is in agreement that staying behind the tree whenever possible is more important than trying to avoid a weak side shot. Good to know. Thanks for the information everyone!

That makes sense I suppose. Then it would probably be best to hang your bow on the right hand side so you don't have to cross the bridge?
Nah. Most of the time I would still hang it on the left. Just because I’m used to grabbing it there and turning to shoot

Seems like everyone is in agreement that staying behind the tree whenever possible is more important than trying to avoid a weak side shot. Good to know. Thanks for the information everyone!
I don't worry about staying behind the tree. I worry about deer coming from directions that are more difficult for me to watch for them.

I really appreciate everyone's input! Like everything else, seems like there's no hard and fast rules. Got to just experiment and find what works.

I don't worry about staying behind the tree. I worry about deer coming from directions that are more difficult for me to watch for them.
This is a good point. Make sure your normal range of back and forth in the saddle will easily allow you to see where you most expect deer to come from. Thats more important than what side bow hangs on and some other things to me.

I’m first year in saddle.
Ive learned importance of practicing most difficult to pivot to shooting angles and closer / steeper angles . Anything under 30 is easy on ground but how consistent are you at 10 yds to 30yds from 20 ft+ to your feet.
Get confident/ comfortable with your climbing then shoot a quiver each practice climb .
Push up penalty for missed shots once on ground.
Deer have come in on me opposite of where previous observations/ noticeable trails.

Hope that’s not too Capn Obvious

I think I'm the worst hunter on here. They always come from the wrong spot.
I try to position where I can see them without moving, and they end up broadside at 9 o'clock and at 25yds. Seldom goes that way.

Why not just set up at the 12 O'clock position and not worry about the week side shot?

If you are using a platform to hunt from the saddle, you can just stand on the platform and dip your shoulder under the tether without ever having to move the bow over the tree tether.

Watch this video at about 16:14 min mark to see what I'm talking about:
Saddle hunting

Every set up has it's own nuances but I try to set up so my primary shot angle is at about 11:00 (I'm mostly behind the tree). I leave my climbing stick between 10:00 and 11:00 at the same height as my platform. That gives me a very simple one step around to shoot quartering away at a deer moving left to right. If they're moving right to left then I just wait them out for the shot. Another benefit for leaving the step there is you can step around the tree easily for weak side shots if one is approaching from your 3:00, of given the opportunity to make the shift.

I've found that I set myself up at 7 o'clock on the tree, assuming deer movement is in front of me. I use a platform and can stand on it easily to shoot without leaning at all. I also tend to set up in smaller trees so it's not hard to maneuver around them.

Why not just set up at the 12 O'clock position and not worry about the week side shot?

If you are using a platform to hunt from the saddle, you can just stand on the platform and dip your shoulder under the tether without ever having to move the bow over the tree tether.

Watch this video at about 16:14 min mark to see what I'm talking about:
Saddle hunting
Depending on the angle of the shot this method does not allow you to bend at the waist. I tried it and was not a fan.

Back