• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Post Harvest Traditions

tyson12590

I have been really enjoying the spring turkey hunting content on youtube from Pinhoti, THP, Shane Simpson and others. One thing has gotten me thinking lately. After every successful hunt Dave Owens takes time to soak in the moment by smoking a cigar. While I am not inclined to smoke anything or drink anything (alcohol) to celebrate a harvest, I love how he takes time to slow down and enjoy the success. It is easy to get in a hurry and miss out on the joy of the accomlishment.

So here is my question. What traditions or practices do you do after a successful hunt? I'd love to hear about them because I'd like to start a fun tradition that will help me to slow down and enjoy the moment. Thanks in advance for sharing.

I always like to sit quiet a moment to kind of give thanks and FEEL the gratitude before I start working to get the kill out of the woods. I always think about how the animal I've taken will never experience breeding again, or finding the sweetest white oak acorns. He will never spar again or experience another sunset or sunrise. I'm no softy, but the awareness that I get from being a hunter and killing attaches me as an active participant to the earth and life. It's one of the most spiritual times for me in the woods.

My Uncle and I will take the inner loins, marinate them after a successful morning hunt and then he’ll grill them and have a late breakfast and a beer. The day before the season opens we take a set of inner loins out of the freezer and do the same thing.

I take the time to thank the Good Lord for allowing me to have the opportunity to spend time in His creation. Thank Him for the generosity of the land owners that allow me to hunt on their land, asking Him to bless them, and for giving me the amount of pleasure I receive pursuing these critters.

Turkey gets an owl hoot gobble after killing and deer gets the inner lions straight in a pan of garlic and butter with eggs and biscuits no matter what time I get home.

Back