• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Practice Tips

LASOutdoorsmen

Thought I'd make a thread where we shared our tips for practicing. Especially footwork.
I brand new to saddle game, and now after my six or seventh time practicing I've found the positions I'm most comfortable in while resting and shooting.
I like to sit with my knees above my waist, with the rear of the saddle just above my butt. I can move around the tree stealthy in that position too.

Veterans and senior saddlehunters please share more.

I like to keep my tree strap as high above my head as I can. This helps with comfort and leaves more tree strap available as you swing around the tree. I like to sit with my thighs just above horizontal. I rotate between sitting with my knees pressing against the tree, standing up with my knees back and off the tree, and sitting with my legs straddling the tree. Sometimes staying comfortable in one position for a long time can be hard and it is good to rotate. I noticed you said you weren't sure if you were going to get knee pads in the video. I strongly suggest it! I feel that they are a necessity!

If you have not practiced shooting out of the saddle yet, you need to. Once you get used to it, it will be easy, but the originally feeling with be different than what you are used to, so find a tree, get up to your hunting height and practice shooting. You also need to make sure you have full clearance from your pouches and bridge.

Hope that helps!

LAS,

That's an interesting position, knees high huh? I will have to try that. So almost like squatting, kinda sorta not really? lol

I'm more along the lines of what redsquirrel said. I agree, good knee pads are almost a necessity for certain positions. I use the Trophyline knee pads with the hard shell, not the soft rubber one.

I actually spend most of my time with my knees locked. A little flex in the knees every once in a while provides a change in muscle use without moving much visually...And slight weight shifts from foot to foot keep my feet from getting tired. I try to stay like this because I move the least. I also keep my strap very high. The lower it is, the sooner my back gets tired for some reason.

That was a major issue for me when I first started using the saddle though, WAY TOO much fidgeting. You can't shoot game when you're a fidgeting fool because they'll almost always see you first. In stands I always sat like a statue for hours on end, but when I switched to the saddle, I suddenly had a fidgeting issue. Sometimes I think I still do every so slightly in the saddle, because it's so easy to move around in it, I think I move more than I should. I'm still trying to learn to become a statue in the saddle.

Last night I did an "on the fly hunt" with my lonewolf hang on. I forgot how much more of a pain the stand is for carrying in and packing up. I can't go with my easy system...Instead I have straps in this pocket, straps in that pocket, my linemans belt in the way of where I have to hang the stand. Trees really crooked....Can't sit level (even though the stand has great leveling features)....

I haven't practiced shooting out of the saddle yet, but I have been practicing my form.
I like to bring the least amount of stuff in the woods as possible. I think I can do without knee pads.

Matty said:
LAS,

That's an interesting position, knees high huh? I will have to try that. So almost like squatting, kinda sorta not really? lol

I'm more along the lines of what redsquirrel said. I agree, good knee pads are almost a necessity for certain positions. I use the Trophyline knee pads with the hard shell, not the soft rubber one.

I actually spend most of my time with my knees locked. A little flex in the knees every once in a while provides a change in muscle use without moving much visually...And slight weight shifts from foot to foot keep my feet from getting tired. I try to stay like this because I move the least. I also keep my strap very high. The lower it is, the sooner my back gets tired for some reason.

That was a major issue for me when I first started using the saddle though, WAY TOO much fidgeting. You can't shoot game when you're a fidgeting fool because they'll almost always see you first. In stands I always sat like a statue for hours on end, but when I switched to the saddle, I suddenly had a fidgeting issue. Sometimes I think I still do every so slightly in the saddle, because it's so easy to move around in it, I think I move more than I should. I'm still trying to learn to become a statue in the saddle.

Last night I did an "on the fly hunt" with my lonewolf hang on. I forgot how much more of a pain the stand is for carrying in and packing up. I can't go with my easy system...Instead I have straps in this pocket, straps in that pocket, my linemans belt in the way of where I have to hang the stand. Trees really crooked....Can't sit level (even though the stand has great leveling features)....
Yeah, it's like squatting. During early fall being caught moving shouldn't be an issue. If it is, climb higher.
I couldn't imagine standing the whole time.

I put my tree strap up as high as I can typically. Then I sit butt high, with most of my weight between my knees or feet. I will 90% of the time have one or both knees on the tree. The other 10 is between locked knees and straddling the tree. I use to never straddle the tree until I started using the back support strap.
As for foot work I typically use 6 steps for a normal size tree. This allows me to go "heel to toe" and touch me next step almost perfectly.
[youtube]UUfsJLpIu20dPzWfb7JWO9gQ[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/l8fCh1kN5P8?list=UUfsJL ... Wfb7JWO9gQ

This is a typical set up, with strap height, sitting position and step spacing. The tree size is about perfect for me. To me some of the biggest things to practice is moving around the tree "smoothly" and SHOOTING RIGHT!!! Their are times you might have to draw then move into position to shoot. If you struggle to walk around the tree without your bow in your hand. Imagine drawing it and trying to walk around the tree. I had the chance last year to hunt with a fellow saddle hunter in tree almost right next to each other so that we could see the difference in how we used the saddle differently. During this hunt I seen them draw and try to them move into position and during that time punched the release and sent a arrow about 5 feet high.

If you ever get a chance to hunt next to another saddle hunter TAKE it. You will see/learn a lot about how others use their saddle and they can help you.

Thanks,
Boswell

Boudreaux said:
I put my tree strap up as high as I can typically. Then I sit butt high, with most of my weight between my knees or feet. I will 90% of the time have one or both knees on the tree. The other 10 is between locked knees and straddling the tree. I use to never straddle the tree until I started using the back support strap.
As for foot work I typically use 6 steps for a normal size tree. This allows me to go "heel to toe" and touch me next step almost perfectly.
[youtube]UUfsJLpIu20dPzWfb7JWO9gQ[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/l8fCh1kN5P8?list=UUfsJL ... Wfb7JWO9gQ

This is a typical set up, with strap height, sitting position and step spacing. The tree size is about perfect for me. To me some of the biggest things to practice is moving around the tree "smoothly" and SHOOTING RIGHT!!! Their are times you might have to draw then move into position to shoot. If you struggle to walk around the tree without your bow in your hand. Imagine drawing it and trying to walk around the tree. I had the chance last year to hunt with a fellow saddle hunter in tree almost right next to each other so that we could see the difference in how we used the saddle differently. During this hunt I seen them draw and try to them move into position and during that time punched the release and sent a arrow about 5 feet high.

If you ever get a chance to hunt next to another saddle hunter TAKE it. You will see/learn a lot about how others use their saddle and they can help you.

Thanks,
Boswell
Moving smoothly with hands off the tree is what I've been practicing. I think is different for everyone because of leg length.

Practicing yesterday, I found that strapping to the Y of an over hanging branch is very comfortable!!!

LASOutdoorsmen said:
Practicing yesterday, I found that strapping to the Y of an over hanging branch is very comfortable!!!

For my permanent trees I always have a tree step in the tree above me to hook my strap over. That way I only have to wrap my tree strap around once, and it keeps the strap from sliding down the tree. Similar concept.

LAS,

I don't use kneepads.
Early season I am wearing pretty tough pants and an ASAT Leafy suit.
Yes, I can feel the tree on my knees but I can do without the pads.
If it is bothering me on consecutive days of hunting, I will wear a thin Knee Sleeve under my pants.

I did 4 hours yesterday morning and 3 hours at Sunset.

When I want to rest and stay VERY still, I just relax and 'tree hug' for a while.

After two three hour hunts my back is very sore. I love versatility of the saddle, but MAN I don't want to have to deal with this again. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Can you describe where your back hurts?

I'm surprised because hanging in a saddle alleviates all of my normal back pain. Hopefully we can help you out!

LASOutdoorsmen said:
I had soreness in my lower back.
How were you sitting?
Straddle the tree? Knees on the tree?
Leaned forward on the bridge? Sitting strait up?

Thanks,
Boswell

I found myself most comfortable with my legs fully extended. I'd say I was 50/50 with straddling the tree and "standing" with my legs fully extended. I tried leaning on the bridge, but I didn't like it.

In what position did your back bother you the most?

Was it you who mentioned that you were sitting with your butt below your knees?

Sitting with my butt below my knees is comfortable, but not good for being ready for a quick shot. I guess my back bothered me the most when I straddled the tree with my thighs level.

How do you have the saddle under your butt? It is more comfortable to have it lower on your butt so it "cups" your butt and holds you up. If it is up higher you tend to slide down. Don't know how you are wearing it but that could cause strain on the back.

FYI, I spend about 75% of my time with my knees resting on the tree, 20% standing, and 5% straddled on the tree (I do this only for a break from the other positions.)

See if you can lengthen the tree strap a little and slide the saddle under your butt a little more.

Back