• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pre set Grade 8 bolt question

Fingerlakes257

Hey Guys,
I’ve noticed a lot of you like to use grade 8 pre set bolts on private property to climb. I’ve been thinking about doing the same and picking up an ez kut drill bit ( highly recommended)

since they’re bolts does everyone just wrench em in once the hole is drilled? Just a little confused and would love to hear the most efficient way to go about doing it.

Chris

The hole is the same size as the bolt so they just slide in as long as the hole is free from debris. You’ll want to drill your holes at a slight upward angle so your bolts don’t want to slide back out as easily.

For presets I would recommend using a power drill. When I hunted private I could preset a tree in a few minutes. Bring an extra battery and I could get around 2.5 trees per battery depending on the tree type/density.

Check out hand drill at treehopperllc.con. I bought one and love it. I have had predrilled holes ice up. Holes weep water and sap and then if below freezing they turn to ice. So always carry hand drill just in case so you can drill out ice.
I just ordered one too, how bad is it to drill a hole full of ice out again, worse or better than just normal wood, I’m going to have this problem a lot, thanks.

I just ordered one too, how bad is it to drill a hole full of ice out again, worse or better than just normal wood, I’m going to have this problem a lot, thanks.
Worse since the end of the bit does not have much to grab on to pull itself in. So you have to push on back of drill.

Great, not what i wanted to hear lol thanks though!

Leave the bolts in the tree forever. I buy bolts for a buck a piece roughly

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

I agree with Jimmy, unless I am never going to hunt that area again, I leave the bolts. A drop in the bucket on what we spend everyday energy drinks, coffee, cigarettes, wawa biscuit, lunch at the diner.....

I am have been looking around, where do you guys buy your grade 8 bolts?
I wanna buy a bunch so Im looking for the best price. Thanks

I am have been looking around, where do you guys buy your grade 8 bolts?
I wanna buy a bunch so Im looking for the best price. Thanks

The best price I've found is 25 bolts for $30 on treehopper.... But I've also wondered where others got them and if they were cheaper??

I got 21 bolts and bit for electric drill from tree hopper I’ll sell for 40 tyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,
I’ve noticed a lot of you like to use grade 8 pre set bolts on private property to climb. I’ve been thinking about doing the same and picking up an ez kut drill bit ( highly recommended)

I tried the bolts
since they’re bolts does everyone just wrench em in once the hole is drilled? Just a little confused and would love to hear the most efficient way to go about doing it.

Chris

You’re going to have problems with sap, ice, sag on soft wood trees and finding the holes in the dark. I tried the bolt thing but because of these problems I went back to screw in steps for presets and folding Cranford steps for mobile set ups. No need to carry a drill when using Cranfords they are sharp enough to easily screw in any tree.

I also preset with a dewalt in the spring leave the bolts. If I feel froggy in the spring I turn them with a wrench while shed hunting. I was using a hand drill for run and gun but have came full circle to carrying sticks on new properties until I figure out where I want dedicated spots.

I try to pre set all of my trees permenantly. The best I have found is utility pole spikes. They have a little L at the end so your foot won't slip off. 5/8" x 12"

I buy my bolts on eBay $32 for 50 bolts

Are these big enough for your feet? I put my spike in at least 4" and try to have at least 4" out, preferably 6". Good footing is imperative as I get older.

Are these big enough for your feet? I put my spike in at least 4" and try to have at least 4" out, preferably 6". Good footing is imperative as I get older.

IMG_5023.jpg
Size 15 ariat work boot

Back