• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pre-set line for hanging/removing climbing rope in SRT

Skewerer

How exactly do you guys set up your pre-sets lines for use with SRT? While I haven't yet invested in an SRT system, I have been doing a lot of research. I would love to be able to hang and remove my climbing rope from the tree via the preset line (without having to detach/attach a separate line to my climbing rope while in the tree), but I am trying to think through the mechanics of exactly how that's best accomplished. I guess I could use a delta screw through the eye at the end of my climbing rope, run the other end of my climbing rope around the anchor branch and back through the delta screw. I could also clip my pre-set line (maybe paracord) into the delta screw somehow, and then pull tight on my climbing rope to snug everything down at the anchor point in the tree. After climbing up for the hunt and back down, I can then pull down on my pre-set line (still attached to the delta screw) to loosen the connection and pull my climbing rope back down. Does that make sense, or are you guys doing this some other/better way? My goal is to get some pre-set lines out this winter while I'm out scouting and shed hunting, and I want to set them up right. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.

You can have use your pre-set line to remove your SRT rope but I fine it easier to use a different piece of paracord. You’re really only talking about a few extra ounces.

I use paracord (550) for pre-sets. It’s not very expensive, especially if you buy bulk (Amazon). A similar but shorter piece of paracord with an ultralight Metlious Bravo carabiner is my preferred method to pull my rope down. A rated carabiner isn’t required but it would work as a backup in a pinch. I like dual purpose items.

I thought about purchasing a Delta link but haven’t needed it so far. The attached picture shows my setup for removing my SRT line. My line has a simple figure eight on a bight with a backup. By placing the removal carabiner behind the knot, it’s easily removed.

6d319838f91147ed0dc7943ac06789ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback and illustration. Ever had trouble getting the knotted end stuck in a limb crotch? I could probably still rig it in a similar way to what you have shown, only using pre-set paracord with a small loop tied into it. Clip the biner through the paracord loop and then clip it to the climbing rope while still on the ground. Then hoist it up, pulling the paracord and climbing rope in tandem, and letting the biner settle where the tag end of the climbing rope meets the knot (like in your pic).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

And to be clear, I'm not worried about weight as much as (1) I want to be able to have my rope anchored well above my hunting height and not have to climb up to attach the paracord before descending and (2) I'd rather avoid introducing a third rope into the equation for pre-sets and dealing with possible tangles, etc.

Thanks for the feedback and illustration. Ever had trouble getting the knotted end stuck in a limb crotch? I could probably still rig it in a similar way to what you have shown, only using pre-set paracord with a small loop tied into it. Clip the biner through the paracord loop and then clip it to the climbing rope while still on the ground. Then hoist it up, pulling the paracord and climbing rope in tandem, and letting the biner settle where the tag end of the climbing rope meets the knot (like in your pic).

I haven't had trouble so far but the bark on the strawberry guava trees I usually hunt in is very smooth. I could see more potential for a problem with rough bark. I'll be using this method at my place in NC this year so we'll see how it does.

And to be clear, I'm not worried about weight as much as (1) I want to be able to have my rope anchored well above my hunting height and not have to climb up to attach the paracord before descending and (2) I'd rather avoid introducing a third rope into the equation for pre-sets and dealing with possible tangles, etc.

Yeah, I see where your going with that. I've tried both ways and just prefer the additional piece of paracord. Mainly because in my haste I've ended up at the bottom of the tree holding my preset at the end of the hunt. You definitely can't get in a hurry!

Thanks for the feedback and illustration. Ever had trouble getting the knotted end stuck in a limb crotch?

With this attachment you pull the knot down so should not get stuck in the crotch.

However if you put the carabiner on the other side as in this picture, you end up with the tag end in your hand and have to pull the knot over branches or crotches. So you have to be careful in this case, but this method does loosen the girth hitch the easiest.

30f07aa2ce23b96b23a1e3d9911a3e72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tie my 550 cord onto my either my delta screw or if the notch is tight I use the other end which has a small hole and a 550 loop. When I can't get to the top to retie it then I make sure its setup to easily pull down.

I was having problems last year pulling down my rope until I posted a picture and someone here(can't remember who lol) told me tie it about 4-6 inches away from the delta screw and that made a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back