• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Predator alone or with steps?

spencerdent

SH Member
First year to use a platform(predator) while saddle hunting. I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to shoot all directions with the predator platform alone or if adding a step or two, such as a bullman or ameristep would help in the 10 to 2 o'clock positions. I watched Greg's video on shooting on the predator and he does not add any steps.

Thanks!

I’m planning on trying both. Would prefer no steps honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to climb with bolts and put my last one on the back side of the tree from the platform. This usually means I set it on my left, and hang the platform on my right. I use it to step on the platform and have a little toe hold if I need to lean over and swing.

I recommend you setup with both and try shooting 360 with and without a d decide which you like better. Less crap to carry and setup is always a good thing IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the size of the tree. Smaller trees are easier to shoot 360 regardless of the platform or steps.
But one thing I thought about the other day...secondary steps may be useful for pivoting behind the tree trunk for concealment. I think it would be nice to have a step beside the platform to help get around the tree 90 degrees or so in order to keep the trunk in between me and the deer. Not that I'm spending much time on that step but I think a place to put a foot would help me to stay a bit more comfortable in that odd position while I hide from deer.

My first sit with the predator I really missed the ability to change position, stratal the tree, rest my knees against the tree without feeling confined with my feet under my butt, and shoot to the 11-1 o’clock without adjusting tether length and or potentially loosing control and swinging. Keep in mind I don’t hunt a lot of trees smaller than a basketball and the majority are larger.

I added an Amerastep to each side at about 10 and 2 o’clock. This works great for me. You can actually use the traction on the side of the platform, change positions and shoot 360 without choking up on the tether.

The only problem I have with it is packing and unpacking. The steps are extremely loud on the cast aluminum. I have the buckle covered but need to figure out something for the steps.

I’m going to use just Amerasteps on the next sit and decide if the added comfort of the platform justifies the added weight and potential noise but I will cover the steps with something if I continue to use both. I may just use platform for those long sits along with a ring for steps although I never found Amerasteps overly uncomfortable. I only have 3 actual hunts with it so the jury’s still out.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have a couple of ameristeps coming so I'm going to try all the combinations once my Mantis arrives.

Yeah, the strap that comes with it is relatively short. Wonder if they did that intentionally to keep folks off of trees that were too big to effectively shoot from?

I feel like all the straps with that style buckle and hook up are the same sucky short length. Should compare it to a lone wolf and xop strap since I have both at home.

I hate climbing small trees. Imagine king kong climbing a 6" tree. That's how I feel on small trees. Too big for that

I feel like all the straps with that style buckle and hook up are the same sucky short length. Should compare it to a lone wolf and xop strap since I have both at home.

I hate climbing small trees. Imagine king kong climbing a 6" tree. That's how I feel on small trees. Too big for that
Pretty sure the lone wolf straps are 6ft as well. I just ordered an 8ft camo strap to use as a linemans. Should have got 2 to see if I preferred a longer strap on my predator. 99% of the time I'm fine with a 6ft strap though, even with my ameristeps platform. I don't like huge trees.

Pretty sure the lone wolf straps are 6ft as well. I just ordered an 8ft camo strap to use as a linemans. Should have got 2 to see if I preferred a longer strap on my predator. 99% of the time I'm fine with a 6ft strap though, even with my ameristeps platform. I don't like huge trees.
My LW straps are the exact same length as the Predator straps. The LW are made of a courser weave than the LW straps.

I carry 2 Ameristeps on a strap/boat buckle with me all the times in my pack. I seldom use them. But I personally would never put them on the same strap as my platform. Too noisy to install and I do not like anything that shifts the pressure on my platform strap.

Lone wolf does, or at least did sell strap extenders. Bought a handful with my assault a few years back.

Also, I use the lone wolf strap for my knaider(without buckle)

I added 1 Ameristep to my strong side on the Predator strap. I hang the stand even with my top stick. That gets me enough travel distance around the tree.
As for packing, here's how I do it. Shock cord on the end of the loop so the strap can be secured anywhere. In my case, I wrap it on the step. Keeps the step from rattling. Shock cord also acts like a grab loop for removing the strap from the button.
Pic in a minute...

I added 1 Ameristep to my strong side on the Predator strap. I hang the stand even with my top stick. That gets me enough travel distance around the tree.
As for packing, here's how I do it. Shock cord on the end of the loop so the strap can be secured anywhere. In my case, I wrap it on the step. Keeps the step from rattling. Shock cord also acts like a grab loop for removing the strap from the button.
Pic in a minute...
Loving all the uses for shock cord.
71580b81199e9fb714f9e444c0fbfb0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back