• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preferred Saddle for SRT?

cjr4497

So I purchased all the gear I needed to SRT climb this year, and I have pretty much gave up on it for the season. No matter what I do, my saddle at some point rides up on me, and I end up in a very uncomfortable position while ascending the tree or setting my platform. My saddle does not have setpoints on the bridge loops. It slides on its own, and adjusts when going from sitting to leaning. I love it for that but, I believe that function hinders it for SRT. I would need it to have a second set of fixed position bridge loops to work correctly.

What is everyone's favorite saddle for SRT climbing?

I'm currently using either a Cruzr XC with adjustable bridge or a Dryad Killdeer/Mini-Drey... Adjusting the bridge on the bridge-loops is key with the XC.

I've used an Aerohunter merlin and now a Latitude Method 2xl. Using the leg straps can help keep the bottom of the saddle under your butt so when you sit it's there and not riding up. What kind of saddle are you using? It seems most of them now have bridges that cinch down on the bridge loop, preventing the kind of free movement you're describing. Waist belt and leg loops tightened adequately should do the trick.

Also, if you're carrying the gear for SRT, you should also look into 2TC. It helps to have another climbing method when the best tree isn't good for SRT

I have the Overwatch Transformer. The self adjusting is kind of in the name. It is a fantastic saddle for stick climbing. I got the hang of it for one sticking too. The owner of the company gave me some advise that works, but if I don't do everything perfect it starts to ride up. Setting a platform on a large tree will also make it ride up because it self adjusts when I lean forward.

He isn't wearing a transformer in that video though. I am fat too. No way that helps me, lol. The transformer probably works fine for him when he climbs using SRT.

Hunting saddles are NOT designed for SRT. Look at arborist saddles that are designed for SRT, they have separate, weight bearing leg cuffs. All you can do is try and position the saddle below your butt and lower the waist belt a bit.

But what you're experiencing is normal.

Make your saddle tight when you SRT/DSRT/ or 2TC..... tight belt, very short bridge and tight leg loops. I've had no trouble with my saddle climbing and I've never used sticks in 6 years. I only do 1 of the three methods mentioned above. After your set at height and on the platform, then loosen everything to a more comfortable level. Don't try to climb in comfort mode is what I'm suggesting.

I use New Tribe Tengu with a Dryad drey mini. I climb SRT using a Roperunner and foot ascender. I agree hunting saddles lend themselves to sitting stationary rather than experiencing the stresses placed on a saddle during SRT climbing.

Hunting saddles are NOT designed for SRT. Look at arborist saddles that are designed for SRT, they have separate, weight bearing leg cuffs. All you can do is try and position the saddle below your butt and lower the waist belt a bit.

But what you're experiencing is normal.
Now that Aerohunter has closed up... is anyone making a saddle like this? With leg cuffs? I like both my Recon and RCH but wish the RCH had wider leg cuffs like the arborist-type saddles.
. My saddle does not have setpoints on the bridge loops. It slides on its own, and adjusts when going from sitting to leaning.
On my XOP i installed a double adjustable bridge. 8mm line tied on with scaffold knot, other end in a Michoacan which in turn is Prussic'ed onto the bridge loop. The Prussic keeps the scaffold knot from sliding up. I haven't spent a lot of time hanging in this setup - I bought better saddles pretty quickly - but the concept seemed to work well enough.

Back