• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preferred Splice for Samson Ice Tail Prussic?

Hello everyone, thank you for tolerating all my splicing questions. I decided to try some ice tail for a prussic and want to make a spliced eye-eye. Samson has two different sets of splicing instructions for this type of rope so I'm kinda confused. One specifies no brummels and just a straight tail bury on both eyes. The other specifies a locked brummel and then bury on each side. I've also read that some people have used locked brummels with a 4" bury. Anyone have any guidance on what I should do?
I also noticed my ice tail has a small core. How should I deal with this while creating the burys and brummels? The instructions don't specify a procedure for this...
Thank you!

I think the core can be pulled out and thrown away, it’s there to give a little extra stability if you’re sewing eyes on it.

I’d do brummels for sure.

The straight bury splice would be too long for hitch cords. The locked brummels add security from the bury pulling out. Generally a hitch needs the shortest bury possible to be flexible near the eyes so that the legs aren’t too long, this is essential with hitches like the VT. Samson has two special splices for the Icetail, one for a hitch cord, two locked brummels and overlapping buries, and the Tuck-Bury, a combination of burying half the strands and tucking the rest on the outside.
Icetail’s break strength is 8,500, a locked brummel with no bury breaks at half the cord’s strength, so just that would be strong enough for the basket configuration of double eye hitches, so 2” would be a minimum to keep the brummel from pulling apart, 4” for more strength, the longer the bury the more potential strength. Being a single braid with no cover, it stays fairly flexible in the thick part of the bury.
Also important is a smooth, gradual taper, with the final point being as fine as possible, even down to a single fiber or two.

Thanks for the replys. I did call Samson and they confirmed you do not need to keep the small core in the rope. I ended up doing a locked brummel on both ends with a 4" burry. Im going to do lots of ground level testing but im very confident it will hold well. Ice tail is great to work with! I did a double braid eye splice on some Hyperclimb that was a nightmare, this was cake compared to that!

Back