• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Prepping trees

Catskills

How are you guys going about prepping trees on private property? I have access to a 50acre old farm and I want to get some trees set up. I will be mixing in public land this year to keep the pressure off the farm. I have wild edge stepps for that. What climbing methods work good for permanent set ups?

This is the 3rd year where I will be using bolts (where legal) to preset locations.

I LOVE the bolt system. I can find them cheaper than screw in steps, and I can use only one set if I want to instead of leaving them in the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the 3rd year where I will be using bolts (where legal) to preset locations.

I LOVE the bolt system. I can find them cheaper than screw in steps, and I can use only one set if I want to instead of leaving them in the tree.

For sure. If you shop around and use the coupons, you can pick up bolts for 65 cents each on Ebay. That's less than the bargain basement screw in steps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, I guess I need to chime in as the only SRT climber, lol. I'm a huge fan of SRT for presets, I hunt pretty much only public so drilling big holes in trees isn't an option. It can limit your tree choice a little, but there are a few ways to make an anchor point if one is not available, just seems like most folks don't want to leave webbing/straps in the tree and then climb it later, which I get, just seems odd because that's what every tree stand hunter does, lol.

SRT is not the cheapest option by a long shot, I was using camo 550 cord to pull up my climbing rope and I think I got 1000' for about $55, I was using about 60-80 per tree. I've heard of folks using fishing line and a slingshot and I might try that this year, sounds like it could be fun and a lot cheaper, but I think I will need reflective thumbtacks because even with the 550 cord I would have a hard time finding it in the dark.

With my ****ty throwing arm, and my possession of a sling shot, I will just have to do that if I ever go the SRT route*.

SRT is in my mix of options I am considering, though right now I am focused on a hand climber.

Depending on the length of time; anybody that leaves webbing or straps in the tree is taking a risk that the material hasn't been compromised by squirrels or UV damage, etc. (no offense @redsquirrel).;)

I've been using the drill & bolt system since the mid 80's. This is my pre-season method of prepping a tree (video made before I went to a saddle, but works the same). I usually wait until September to start the process. On rare occasions I'll have to ream the holes out if I wait a couple of months to use.

I love the treehopper bolt system. It's simply the best. However, I've lost all of my private land spots and its all public for me. Im relegated to good climbing sticks unless I get a chance to research the SRT like Donnie above is using. Sounds awesome

Last edited:
I carry a piece of paracord just about every hunt now. It takes no room and weighs nothing. If the tree is worthy of coming back to, it gets a piece of paracord so I can quickly and quietly climb it SRT later. SRT is usually not my first sit. Usually it's spurs, stepps, or sticks.

I've got trees set up with screw in steps and cheap lockon ladder sticks. I like the ladders better but like someone said, you have to be cautious of the straps.

For those that use bolts....

What size bit are you drilling with? How deep do you drill?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Is there a YouTube of SRT climbing? I’ve done quite a lot of accending just want to know how to start the rope set. I saw a sling shot option

For those that use bolts....

What size bit are you drilling with? How deep do you drill?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3/8” - 6” Grade 8
I can’t remember the specific depth of drilling...

I will say, as inexpensive as the EZ Kut cordless drill bit is... it’s probably the best option. On DIY, remember you have to buy the bit AND the stopper.

If you try to DIY, I would not use any bit other than an auger style bit. (the kind with the little screw tip) I tried to get by with a kreg bit, a standard wood bit, a flat paddle style bit.... and all of them handle wet, live wood poorly. The auger bits do a MUCH better job of clearing the wet shavings, which keeps it from clogging.

3/8” - 6” Grade 8
I can’t remember the specific depth of drilling...

I will say, as inexpensive as the EZ Kut cordless drill bit is... it’s probably the best option. On DIY, remember you have to buy the bit AND the stopper.

If you try to DIY, I would not use any bit other than an auger style bit. (the kind with the little screw tip) I tried to get by with a kreg bit, a standard wood bit, a flat paddle style bit.... and all of them handle wet, live wood poorly. The auger bits do a MUCH better job of clearing the wet shavings, which keeps it from clogging.

Agree on the bit. And EZ kut is doing 20% off today

Back