• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

preseason observation

skydoc

Anyone here do observation sits preseason? how far away from predicted deer movement do you sit? Any suggestions on the subject would be welcomed!

I do coincidental presits; the ranch I hunt on I help out with coyote control which allows me to observe deer movement. I sit about 200 yards on top of a rise from the deer travel corridor which allows me to watch for coyotes and also watch for the livestock guardian dogs. This ranch has plenty of human activity in it. In my observations of the years it has little to no effect in the deer travel. Sure if a human is there they won’t travel but after a day or two they resume normal travel patterns. Now this is an atypical situation as the deer are used to humans and avoid them due to generations of deer using the same travel corridor. What surprised me this year was some new bucks I’ve got on camera, same guy I’ve dubbed scratch due to a scar on his side. I’ve never had him in cam before but I’ve got several pics of him, broad daylight for a few weeks now, so he doesn’t seem to be too bothered by the humans or the livestock dogs.
TLDR: more likely deer will smell you especially in this weather or sign you left, I wouldn’t worry too much about messing up their travel patterns. As long as you aren’t in the same spot every day till season they’ll resume

I have not, but I plan on doing one in September. I ran across a fresh timber cut that I've seen deer all over for the past several weeks. I studied the aerial view, and the way the territory lays out I'm not sure of the best scout in/set up approach without knowing how they are entering the area.

It appears I can set up with a very low disturbance impact with not much issue. So my feeling on observation sits is definitely do it if you can get in and out of the area with no more than a little disturbance. Otherwise wait until the opener and scout your way in.

My season opens Sept 3. Im planning i’m doing a couple of sits mid august. I’ve never done any sits before season but I can see the benefit if I don’t disturb. I’ve scouted more this year than I ever have and found lots of good summer movement. Haven’t checked my 20 cameras yet to see if it’s daylight movement. Hoping to get a big boy in velvet…. but if not I’m happy with some silence and relaxation in Gods country.

When I can get out for grouse or squirrels prior to season, that's my scouting. Honestly, until the past few years, my 'archery season' was scouting for rifle season, with a bow handy for any shots of opportunity I might stumble into. With my project list ever growing I don't think I'll have the time to do as much scouting as I'd like.

I’ve got a the areas narrowed down but not sure best spot to set up for bow. If only a bow had the range of my 308!

My season opens Sept 3. Im planning i’m doing a couple of sits mid august. I’ve never done any sits before season but I can see the benefit if I don’t disturb. I’ve scouted more this year than I ever have and found lots of good summer movement. Haven’t checked my 20 cameras yet to see if it’s daylight movement. Hoping to get a big boy in velvet…. but if not I’m happy with some silence and relaxation in Gods country.
Wow I’m jealous of that early opener! I don’t do observation sits anywhere near where I actually hunt mostly due to the fact that the spots I hunt early season are so thick you really can’t observe much until the deer is right up on you. But I will go to the edge of fields in mid to late august to see what trails the deer may be favoring as they walk out. It of course could all change by the time you hunt but I believe no time spent in the deer woods is wasted. You always learn something

Back