• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preset Paracord/Cable Setups

K.D.P

SH Member
I’m looking for something that I can climb a tree one time and add a piece of paracord or even a cable for return trips.
I’d like to be able to attach my rappel rope to and be able to to girth hitch it to the tree from the ground. I know I could do this fairly easy when there is a crotch is the tree where I want to hunt.
How about when you don’t have a crotch on a tree but you still need to girth hitch your rappel rope to the tree? Any ideas? Suggestions?

I’m looking for something that I can climb a tree one time and add a piece of paracord or even a cable for return trips

I have two options. A false crotch or a floating anchor. The false crotch is easier to rig and climb on, but it is load bearing, and so, we would need to accept the risk that it has not been compromised since our last visit. I have been using them for years. The floating anchor is a newer idea and is more difficult to rig, but offers the advantage that it encapsulates the trunk and therefore, if the floating anchor were to be compromised, it would not affect our safety, provided that we have used a cinching connection to the tree. I use the Floating Anchor in conjunction with the Maverick Hitch (or Running JRB Hitch). It can even be used in conjunction with ladder stands. I will leave video links below.

Pull climbing rope thru pvc and girth hitch around tree. I also like JRBs floating anchor system. Still testing this one out, but am very Happy so far.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20230911_102355.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230911_102355.jpeg
    731.4 KB · Views: 73
Pull climbing rope thru pvc and girth hitch around tree. I also like JRBs floating anchor system. Still testing this one out, but am very Happy so far.
I am assuming there are no branches below and ya just walk the rope around the tree. But what confuses me is how ya tie your "girth hitch" so that it's adequately horizontal and cinches hard as it goes around the tree. Maybe you're walking away from the tree and getting it to a 45 degree angle?

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

I am assuming there are no branches below and ya just walk the rope around the tree. But what confuses me is how ya tie your "girth hitch" so that it's adequately horizontal and cinches hard as it goes around the tree. Maybe you're walking away from the tree and getting it to a 45 degree angle?

Yes when I need a false crotch it is mostly on pine trees where the lowest limbs are to high to be used. Walking back to a 45 degree angle and pulling your rope tight works great.

Not public land legal but I just throw a bolt in the tree if I don't have a natural crotch to work with. That PVC trick is cool though I might be stealing that one. Mostly got away from presets though I just jump around too much to make it worthwhile.

Yes when I need a false crotch it is mostly on pine trees where the lowest limbs are to high to be used. Walking back to a 45 degree angle and pulling your rope tight works great.
I appreciate your ingenuity. When i am capturing the trunk with an anchor, I will ask myself if it would hold on a smooth barked tree, and often test it that way. It's just a really uncomfortable feeling when ya get up near the tie in point and it moves on me, and that has happened when i did similar rigging, just using a loop of paracord instead of the PVC. And so i try to get it roughly horizontal when i start to set it, typically with a pole or sometimes with a floating anchor, and by the time it's loaded, it's closer to a 45 degree angle. Food for thought.

Back