• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pressure Canning

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So who can tell me about canning low acid foods without getting botulism? Lol.

Between the 8 chickens my wife talked me into getting, my plans to exceed last year's 10 deer, and my trotline project, i have way more protein than can be stored in a freezer. Wife wants a bigger garden next year (we are dabbling in tomatoes and peppers this year) and we have several fruit trees with dreams of adding more. Don't know that we'll ever be "self-sufficient", but we have hardly had to buy store meat since we got married. Absolutely have not needed it al all since September last year. I like it, especially

I'm thinking I want a large pressure canner, a stockpile of jars and lids, a propane burner, and a basement shelf system. Who can offer words of wisdom and experience?

Following. I have similar questions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's a lot of work and prep but this book is a pretty valuable resource: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1632205092/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1. For recipes, Ball (the same people that make the jars) has pretty good ones in their book. If you guys have lots of fruit trees and even tomatoes making wine is a good way to preserve them and make jam off the left overs. And, it gets ya drunk for around $1 bottle! There's this info too: https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

Last edited:
Canned pickles last night. Green beans last year. It’s really not as hard or dangerous as people make it out to be. I’ve got a Presto 32 qt probably from Walmart.

Just need clean jars and lids, boil them before you start. You’ll probably want wide mouth jars. Old coil stove top or gas is better than flat top electric stove, more consistent heat. The instruction manual with recipes is going be your best friend. Different lb pressure and times. Won’t need additional cooking time with your altitude.

Once your time is up, remove from heat and let it come down from pressure on its own. After that happens, remove lid/jars and when they start to cool the lids will pop down and you’re done.

Between the 8 chickens my wife talked me into getting, my plans to exceed last year's 10 deer, and my trotline project, i have way more protein than can be stored in a freezer. Wife wants a bigger garden next year (we are dabbling in tomatoes and peppers this year) and we have several fruit trees with dreams of adding more. Don't know that we'll ever be "self-sufficient", but we have hardly had to buy store meat since we got married. Absolutely have not needed it al all since September last year. I like it, especially

I'm thinking I want a large pressure canner, a stockpile of jars and lids, a propane burner, and a basement shelf system. Who can offer words of wisdom and experience?
Just make sure ya jars are clean and lids are clean. Also wipe mouth of jars down after filling with a clean hot water rag. I do 10lb pressure on all beans and tomatoes for 25mins. I also use a turkey cooker burner and propane tank outside for.canning to keep the heat out of the house. Just set something up to.keep wind off your setup to help a consistent heat.
I've done pickled peppers, sour kraut, beans pickled beans, beets applesauce tomato sauce stewed tomatoes sketti sauce heck done alot....its alot easier canning than finding a mature buck

The ball canning books are great to learn on. I can send you mine if you like bud

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Get "stocking up iii". I've pressure canned everything...chili, you name it. Worth the effort. Get a vacuum sealer too....perfect for chicken after slaughter to freeze in.

Pick up a Ball Blue Book as a place to start.

I wipe the top of jars when canning venison with vinegar, cuts any grease & top seals every time. Raw canned venison I figure one pound of meat for a pint jar, try smoking the raw venison for 30 minutes before packing the jars makes it really tasty.

Canned pickles last night. Green beans last year. It’s really not as hard or dangerous as people make it out to be. I’ve got a Presto 32 qt probably from Walmart.

Just need clean jars and lids, boil them before you start. You’ll probably want wide mouth jars. Old coil stove top or gas is better than flat top electric stove, more consistent heat. The instruction manual with recipes is going be your best friend. Different lb pressure and times. Won’t need additional cooking time with your altitude.
ow
Once your time is up, remove from heat and let it come down from pressure on its own. After that happens, remove lidH/jars a nd when they start to cool the lids will pop down and you’re done
How many quart jars can you work with in your 32 quart pressure canner?

The ball blue book is the Bible for canning and preserving. Get that and then whatever recipes get recommended reference the book to make sure they’re actually safe. There’s a lot of things that ( “we’ve always done it that way”) aren’t actually safe...

The ball blue book is the Bible for canning and preserving. Get that and then whatever recipes get recommended reference the book to make sure they’re actually safe. There’s a lot of things that ( “we’ve always done it that way”) aren’t actually safe...
Yeah, I got the USDA book and will be getting the Ball resources. I'm not scared of a lot of stuff, but tetanus and botulism have always made me very nervous. I get the booster shot and don't eat dented cans. Call me a wuss, but those are bad ways to go.

Back