• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Private Land

MNarrow

Hi everyone, long time Lone Wolf hang-on user and want to jump in the saddle game for my run and gun sets on public land. I also hunt my parents land that I leave hang-on stands and sticks up. My question is for people that hunt private land: have you abandoned hang-on stands all-together and use your saddle on private land as well? Maybe leave sets of climbing sticks up? Or do you use the saddle mostly for public land?

Hi everyone, long time Lone Wolf hang-on user and want to jump in the saddle game for my run and gun sets on public land. I also hunt my parents land that I leave hang-on stands and sticks up. My question is for people that hunt private land: have you abandoned hang-on stands all-together and use your saddle on private land as well? Maybe leave sets of climbing sticks up? Or do you use the saddle mostly for public land?
Presets with bolts are the way to go. scew in ROS, or bolt ROS as well. I will prbably have 6 or so presets on my own property by end of season, and 10+ on the family farm(depending on time) I dont haeve a lot of time preseason right now, so I"ll be setting up as i hunt during the season, but pretty much have spots picked out already. Tons of guys have massive numbers of presets--in all honesty, its the best way to do it if you can!

I have hang-on stands that I still use on both properties I hunt to observe movement but then use my saddle to move in when the time is right. I do also have trees that I have pre-set this summer that are in proven spots. Sticks and platform in case my presets aren't quite "on the X"

Presets with bolts are the way to go. scew in ROS, or bolt ROS as well. I will prbably have 6 or so presets on my own property by end of season, and 10+ on the family farm(depending on time) I dont haeve a lot of time preseason right now, so I"ll be setting up as i hunt during the season, but pretty much have spots picked out already. Tons of guys have massive numbers of presets--in all honesty, its the best way to do it if you can!
Thank you, sounds like a great way to go.

I do also have trees that I have pre-set this summer that are in proven spots.
Thank you. This comment here was what I was most alluding to. I have hunted my parents place for almost 25 years now and have two or three locations that are the most proven. So I was questioning people in the same position is if there is any benefit/pros of hunting the pre-set stands or is everything better all-around by also using the saddle in these proven locations.

I would try what ever method is the most stealthy in proven locations. I don't mind blowing up a public land spot or two each year( because other people can and often ruin them before your even there) but on your own land where you have control hunt it like your not even there....or never have been! Just my take on my personal private parcel.

if your goal is to kill deer - use whatever tool you find best for the situation - I will hunt out of all methods this year because I take kids out every year. For my personal hunts, I'll use the saddle most of the time but will hunt from the ground too. I have a couple lock ons still up and I can use the sticks to climb and the platform while hanging from a saddle (or just go higher) - the saddle is just one tool! Joining SH doesn't require you to quit all the other methods - just question their applicability to your hunting!

I don't Like hang on stands none I have used in the past are very comfortable although I've taken a lots of deer from them a saddle has a high comfort level for sure leave your sticks up and use your saddle

I have 5/8 machine bolts in trees on our food plots for North and South Winds that we have always just carried our Lonewolfs to.But now they will be used with my Hybrid

I don't Like hang on stands none I have used in the past are very comfortable although I've taken a lots of deer from them a saddle has a high comfort level for sure leave your sticks up and use your saddle
This is what I'm leaning towards. It sounds like a saddle would be better in every way. If a saddle is more comfortable, more stealthy, better shot selection......is there something I'm missing? In what way would a hang on stand on private land be better than a saddle?

This is what I'm leaning towards. It sounds like a saddle would be better in every way. If a saddle is more comfortable, more stealthy, better shot selection......is there something I'm missing? In what way would a hang on stand on private land be better than a saddle?
Certain types of trees with tons of branches and small shooting lanes--cedars, some spruce and pines. overgrown stone walls where theres lots of brush and prickers and only a few trees, that are good for cover, but you wouldnt want to trim back too much, but would need to in order to setup for the saddle.

For me a saddle is just another tool to kill deer, you have to let the situation dictate the use.
I have 1 spot with a 2 man ladder stand that I will only use it I am bringing someone new to hunting with me, it's much less intimidating climbing a angled ladder for someone new.

I have a couple old hang on locations that are put on to the tree with chain, these spots have been in place for a while and I will continue to hunt them as is, the way the spots are setup with a feeder and alot of cover around the stands there is no benefit of using a saddle over a stand in this situation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a couple old hang on locations that are put on to the tree with chain, these spots have been in place for a while and I will continue to hunt them as is, the way the spots are setup with a feeder and alot of cover around the stands there is no benefit of using a saddle over a stand in this situation.
Thanks for the reply. If those hang ons weren't there, or let's say they become damaged and you had to replace........would you replace them or use a saddle? Do you find hang ons more comfortable than the saddle so no benefit over the stand in that situation?

Thanks for the reply. If those hang ons weren't there, or let's say they become damaged and you had to replace........would you replace them or use a saddle? Do you find hang ons more comfortable than the saddle so no benefit over the stand in that situation?
If I had to remove the hang on stands I would leave my lag bolts in the tree to climb and use my saddle to hunt it, I do find my saddle more comfortable than most of my hang on stands but I never really complained about comfort in a hang on stand.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back