• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Process Question - Getting onto Steps/Platform

BLaw

I’m fairly sure this has been discussed on multiple threads, but I’m new and not readily finding them. Without having climbed/set up in my saddle yet (USPS says it’s in my town, just not to my door yet) what is everyone’s process for getting onto their platform/steps/whatever?

As I visualize this I am toward the top of my sticks, set my V-Steps/platform/get to my screw in steps, then I move my lineman’s belt above them, but are you guys holding just the side of the tree as you go beyond? Are you hooking your tether before you get on the platform/steps, putting any hand holds above the platform height? On some of the trees I prepped I’m struggling to figure out the safest way to get from top of sticks to hunting height.

Any insight on process is appreciated.

Depends on the tree(single or forked). I set a platform, typically my lineman belt is below it. I will connect my tether above platform, just so Im connected to tree as I remove lineman belt and re position it above the platform. Then I will get on the platform with both connected. If I was using steps around the tree, I would just fish the LB over them and climb up on them. After Im on them, I would then connect tether.

Using your linesman properly you should be taking a step and using your linesman’s lanyard to essentially pull your self up with. For most including myself it is an awkward feeling. Everyone tends to grab the tree. It is a normal reaction.

When I set my stand. I move the lineman’s lanyard above the stand. Usually the stand is at the same level or below your last step. There is a reason the stand is either level or below. This is the most dangerous part, ie climbing onto your stand. You should always be tied off with your tether. The idea of the tether is to prevent a fall. The lineman lanyard allows you to position yourself and your tether once you are on your platform. Once set you can slowly transition your weight fully into the saddle and thether and remove your linesman lanyard.

Ok, thanks guys. In my head I had a ring of steps essentially 1 rung height above the top of my sticks. I think getting in the tree with this stuff will help quite a bit too.

My tether and linemans belts are identical setups.

I set a tether as I am on my top stick. In most cases I use this to hang my platform as it is even more stable than a linemans. I use this to transition to the platform. Then once on the platform I set my other tether at proper height then disconnect the other which becomes my pack and quiver hanger.

This is my first year as well, and this is the most awkward part of the process for me. I'm using bolts with a primal step and wood insert for my platform. This is where I've felt the least safe. I'm refining my technique, but I'm far from where I'm feeling like I have it down.

A few things that I've learned that might help you.

-Have your highest step at the same height or higher than your platform. This is standard with hang ins, etc.

-Have a hand hold well above your platform. Being able to pull yourself up to your last step or two is a big deal. Mine doubles as a hook to hang my pack on.

-I've found that having my platform at a 90 degree angle to my bolts works best. I had a really difficult time when I was trying to keep in in the same line as my steps.

For me, it's taken quite a bit of forethought to figure out where to position my bolts and my platform. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm getting closer.

Using WE Stepps to climb and as a platform. Getting up on a WE platform is the same as climbing another rung, however I usually tie my tether before making that last move, cuz why not.

My tether and linemans belts are identical setups.

I set a tether as I am on my top stick. In most cases I use this to hang my platform as it is even more stable than a linemans. I use this to transition to the platform. Then once on the platform I set my other tether at proper height then disconnect the other which becomes my pack and quiver hanger.
@elk yinzer This makes perfect sense. I have an extra lineman’s with a loop spliced in that would work perfect. I had it in my head to use it if I need to hook a second belt while climbing, but I’ll blame my greenness for not putting together that it works the same as a tether and bag/gear hanger. Much appreciated.

This is my first year as well, and this is the most awkward part of the process for me. I'm using bolts with a primal step and wood insert for my platform. This is where I've felt the least safe. I'm refining my technique, but I'm far from where I'm feeling like I have it down.

A few things that I've learned that might help you.

-Have your highest step at the same height or higher than your platform. This is standard with hang ins, etc.

-Have a hand hold well above your platform. Being able to pull yourself up to your last step or two is a big deal. Mine doubles as a hook to hang my pack on.

-I've found that having my platform at a 90 degree angle to my bolts works best. I had a really difficult time when I was trying to keep in in the same line as my steps.

For me, it's taken quite a bit of forethought to figure out where to position my bolts and my platform. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm getting closer.
Thanks, @Matt G. I’m definitely on the same page here. I did the handholds on the trees I advanced prepped on private, but added the V-Steps for mobile/public sets and was struggling to wrap my head around that. I think doing 3 steps as ring/platform at same height as top stick and using the 4th as a handhold/extra hanging spot might make sense from that standpoint.

Thanks again for sharing what you’ve found so far this year.

I generally climb up to a ring of steps. I know that SOP is to tether off and step down onto your final destination, but I've never really seen the point. On a platform/treestand stepping up could allow you to exert side pressure, which could cause the platform to kick out. Steps on a strap can't do that.

At any point during the climb, a foothold could fail. A linemans belt and 3 points of contact provide insurance. When I set my ROS, I set it about a foot above my final bolt and just step up onto it. I shorten my linemans to bring me closer to the tree, unhook my tether from the back of my saddle, and tie off. I don't see stepping on to the ROS as any riskier than stepping to the next bolt.

Now with the predator, I was a little more cautious. I set it barely above to top of my last bolt, and was careful to step straight down and not to side load it. I usually went ahead and set my tether before committing weight to it.

As far as placement of the platform in relation to the climbing aid, that's another reason I prefer a ROS. It allows me to climb up, set the ROS, and then once I'm on it I can shuffle around anywhere I want on the tree before I set my tether. With a platform or my Windwalker, it usually gets set 90* to the left or right. But that sometimes necessitates climbing the "bad" side of a tree.

I generally climb up to a ring of steps. I know that SOP is to tether off and step down onto your final destination, but I've never really seen the point. On a platform/treestand stepping up could allow you to exert side pressure, which could cause the platform to kick out. Steps on a strap can't do that.

At any point during the climb, a foothold could fail. A linemans belt and 3 points of contact provide insurance. When I set my ROS, I set it about a foot above my final bolt and just step up onto it. I shorten my linemans to bring me closer to the tree, unhook my tether from the back of my saddle, and tie off. I don't see stepping on to the ROS as any riskier than stepping to the next bolt.

Now with the predator, I was a little more cautious. I set it barely above to top of my last bolt, and was careful to step straight down and not to side load it. I usually went ahead and set my tether before committing weight to it.

As far as placement of the platform in relation to the climbing aid, that's another reason I prefer a ROS. It allows me to climb up, set the ROS, and then once I'm on it I can shuffle around anywhere I want on the tree before I set my tether. With a platform or my Windwalker, it usually gets set 90* to the left or right. But that sometimes necessitates climbing the "bad" side of a tree.
@Nutterbuster I'm new to saddle hunting what is considered a "bad" side of a tree?

@Nutterbuster whatbwouldnyounthinknof squirrel steps as an alternative to bolts on public land?

@Nutterbuster whatbwouldnyounthinknof squirrel steps as an alternative to bolts on public land?
Fantastic, but a little pricey. I'll probably make the plunge at some point. I'd rather give money to @DanO than Dan Infalt or the D'Acquistos. I think that's comparing apples to apples: absolute top end stuff. Heck, beast sticks are actually imported!

I always climb up to my ring of steps, platform or any other standing "platform" I always set up the same no matter what.
I stand on the top step of my top stick set my tether, step down to my bottom step top stick set my platform (no matter what it is) about 18" above my top step and pull my tether tight and climb up and on my "platform"

On a ring of steps I usually just keep mi little newsman’s belt. What’s the difference between stepping onto a ring of steps and using the same step to climb? The problem with stepping up onto a tree stand is side pressure and the aggravating cables. It’s always safer to never climb past your last handhold. Around here it’s more “look Ma no hands”.

Back