• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Proven Wild Safety Rope as tether

freddyb

tether.PNGHas anyone used this as a tether? I have one and it supports my weight fine but I just wanted to get some opinions if this is dumb to do. Basically the same thing as the HSS rope style tether, but rated for 300lbs instead of 400. I would likely just use this for the rest of the season and then make my own tether out of decent climbing rope if I see myself continuing to hunt out of a saddle. Thoughts?

I haven't used that or the hss but personally, I'd just get the climbing rope and carabineer. I don't want to trust my life to something with a 300 lb limit. I tend toward safety over anything though

I used the Muddy ropes all last season and it worked well for me and then I picked up HTP for my ropes this year just as you said you were planning on. I went to ****s and picked it up for like $30 or something before season last year.

I couldn’t trust the metal clamps that hold the eyes together.
Yeah I tied a figure 8 loop for the tether and then cut the end and tied a double fisherman's for the prusik. The metal crimp on the tether is a little concerning to me because it feels like it could fray the rope and sort of act as a weak point.

I would be concerned that when the rope was loaded it would get smaller in diameter and slip out of the clamps. This is a danger when trying to use seizing on modern ropes also.

I left the metal clamps on and tied above them to use the knot instead. I honestly don’t think the rope would slip out of the metal clamp. They are crimped SUPER tight on there but I didn’t test it either. Now I use my old tether as a dog leash for my GSD.

Try this, it works great for me, and you just need to cut the length you want.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Just an FYI - I tried to look up that "UIAA Certified Rope", but I cannot find the "RopeSpot" brand in the list of UIAA certified products:

To each their own, but I just wanted to make you aware.

I highly recommend a climbing rated rope from a reputable climbing company, the risk just isn't worth it. Surely there's a climbing store, arborist or work safety store of some kind that you could run to and pick up quality rope for $1 a foot.

Buying rope or anything safety wise from Amazon or ebay is risky too as there's so many Fakes out there. I've seen some stuff and clicked on it to find it's being shipped from stores I trust so I'm sure that's fine but from a unknown company No Way!

Back