• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Prusic, Ropeman1, Mad Rock Safeguard for Tether

Rustystud

SH Member
My saddle came with 11mm tether, 10mm bridge and 8mm prusic and both with sewn loop on one. Both with prusics and carabiners. I migrated to Ropeman 1 on both the tether and linemans belt. I changed my tether from a 8 foot to a 12 foot length with sewn loop on one end and stopper knot on the other. When I go up I use a lineman belt throughout the climb both up and down. If I encounter a limb I take out the tether and use it when I disconect and move the linemans belt over the limb. When I reach platform level I install the tether in conjunction with the linemans belt. I then hang my platform. I don't release my linemans belt until I feel the platform is secure. I have recently bought a Mad Rock Safeguard to use on my tether. I have been using the Ropeman 1 solo on my tether. I was planning on using the Mad Rock Safeguard solo on my tether. I have watched several videos where some are using the Mad Rock Safeguard solo. I have seen others use a safety stopper (Prusic with a tender) below the Mad Rock Safeguard. I have seen others who use there linemans rope configured as a second safety tether. I went to mountain climbing school back in the 70s. We use doubled carabiners in most of our rigging. We also used redundent back-ups on almost all sets. I experienced several falls where my equipment saved my bacon. I had a fall from a tree 20 years ago. I had a safety belt on but was in a hurry and did not have in use when I fell. My feet were at 25 feet and during my fall I only got out "Oh Sh_t" before I hit ground. My thoughts during the fall was not to let the linemans hardwear hit me in the head. That fall occured after approximately 10,000 hours of tree stand hunting. Yes, I have now clocked another 10,000 hours but I am much more conscience of my fall protection. I am curious on how many saddle hunters are using the Mad Rock Safeguard solo on their tether vs having a back up prusic and tender.

I use the madrock by itself if I'm hanging on my rapel line, no back up. I would caution against putting a back up below the madrock, they specifically say not to do this as it can cause failure. Run your back up above instead.Screenshot_20230126_132414_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
"I am curious on how many saddle hunters are using the Mad Rock Safeguard solo on their tether vs having a back up prusic and tender."

I dont use a mad rock, but i do run a secondary prusik at the end of my tether and hook it to my saddle or my bridge. fiddling with the idea of carrying a loop that can hook it to and run it through my linemans as a sort of secondary bridge.

my kids use a rock climbing harness and they hook into that as their secondary.

The Madrock replaced my Ropeman when I decided to rappel down from trees when finished hunting. I use my rappel rope as my tether, & attach it at the base of the tree when I start to climb. The Ropeman goes on my Lineman's rope.

I do this in case I have to make an early exit from the tree, for any reason-I dropped something, I hit a wasp nest, I all-of-a-sudden gotta go #2, whatever! ;) My "quick exit" system is already set up & ready to go!

If you're not rappelling down the tree when finished, & are using a "standard" tether, both devices will work in holding you at height & being adjustable.

But I personally don't see the purpose/advantage of using the Madrock over a Ropeman on any rope that's not long enough to get you all of the way down.

Last edited:
I now climb and hang while attached to a short tether with a friction hitch (no backup). That limits the metal in my "hunting setup" to a carabiner and keeps my rappel rope dry if its raining or the tree is wet. After the hunt I setup my rappel line (9mm canyon elite), attach my Safeguard and then transfer over to it. I then rappel using the Safeguard (again with no backup) and hang for a minute or less while I remove my platform and stick from the tree.

Back when I was hanging from my rappel rope on the Safeguard during my hunts I backed up the Safeguard by tying a slip knot directly under it (simply a looped bight) and then hooked the loop in the bridge carabiner. While hanging there's no way for the Safeguard to slide by that knot and by hooking it in the biner it can't get pulled loose unintentionally. When I got ready to get down I simply unhooked the bight from the biner, relocked the biner and pulled the tag end to release the knot. . . .Ready to rappel.

This video is old and I've made a lot of changes since then but here's a link to the slip bight being put in. Fast forward to 10:15 to see the knot released.

It’s awesome to see people with lots of experience continuing to refine their climbing techniques and safety protocols. This is a great reminder to all of us. Thanks for this post.

I now climb and hang while attached to a short tether with a friction hitch (no backup). That limits the metal in my "hunting setup" to a carabiner and keeps my rappel rope dry if its raining or the tree is wet. After the hunt I setup my rappel line (9mm canyon elite), attach my Safeguard and then transfer over to it. I then rappel using the Safeguard (again with no backup) and hang for a minute or less while I remove my platform and stick from the tree.

Back when I was hanging from my rappel rope on the Safeguard during my hunts I backed up the Safeguard by tying a slip knot directly under it (simply a looped bight) and then hooked the loop in the bridge carabiner. While hanging there's no way for the Safeguard to slide by that knot and by hooking it in the biner it can't get pulled loose unintentionally. When I got ready to get down I simply unhooked the bight from the biner, relocked the biner and pulled the tag end to release the knot. . . .Ready to rappel.

This video is old and I've made a lot of changes since then but here's a link to the slip bight being put in. Fast forward to 10:15 to see the knot released.

Great video……did you go back up and get the camera? =0)

I have decided to keep a separate tether too. I was just wondering the other day why am I using metal on it? I do like the separate tether since my rappel rope then is a stand by LB if I have to go over limbs. Works like a charm!

Back