• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

prusik vs klemheist?

hickstick

first an introduction...Hi! I'm a noob. I've been treestand hunting for at least 3 decades, but got into rock climbing this summer, and started poking around the interwebs on using a RC harness for hunting rather than my trusty SOTP harness.

I found some vids of folks using an RC harness as a safety harness, but then I found a bunch of stuff about tree saddles...and thats when I found you lovely folks!

so...I have an RC harness and a bunch of 25kn locking biners and 11 mm rope already, I ordered a SitDrag the other day and some milspec 1" tubular webbing...and can't wait to get started!!

as I've been poking around looking at everyones setups and wondered why everyone is using Prusik rather than a klemheist? I switched to klemheist knots many years ago...they are unidirectional, so they are much easier to move with one hand. and after loading and unloading, can be released with a simple flip of the thumb.

so...has anyone tried a klemheist?

Klemheist only grab the rope in one direction, And i noticed they don't grab as well as the prusik knots.

first an introduction...Hi! I'm a noob. I've been treestand hunting for at least 3 decades, but got into rock climbing this summer, and started poking around the interwebs on using a RC harness for hunting rather than my trusty SOTP harness.

I found some vids of folks using an RC harness as a safety harness, but then I found a bunch of stuff about tree saddles...and thats when I found you lovely folks!

so...I have an RC harness and a bunch of 25kn locking biners and 11 mm rope already, I ordered a SitDrag the other day and some milspec 1" tubular webbing...and can't wait to get started!!

as I've been poking around looking at everyones setups and wondered why everyone is using Prusik rather than a klemheist? I switched to klemheist knots many years ago...they are unidirectional, so they are much easier to move with one hand. and after loading and unloading, can be released with a simple flip of the thumb.

so...has anyone tried a klemheist?
Because they're a finicky knot and can role up a small diameter rope. As tracker said a prusik is not unidirectional so it doesn't matter what way it's loaded. It could also be that prusik is just a generic term that arborist and some of us use to refer to the friction hitch portion of our rig. I personally don't particularly care for a klemheist but prefer a distel hitch on an eye2eye.
Make sure your not using that nylon accessory cord from the local rei for your rope climbing pruscord. It can't handle the friction over time and will glaze then you'll be going for a ride. You want polyester or a polyester technora blend. I almost forgot. What kind of rope are you using?
Oh. Welcome and be safe.

to tell you the truth Saddler...I've had the 11mm rope so long, I don't remember if its static or dynamic, and all my loops are 8mm climbing rope (bought from the same supplier at the same time as the 11mm) with double fishermans...definitely quality kernmantle. never had a problem with the loops or the ropes glazing, (for years I've been tying the line above my stand all the way to the ground and tying the klemheist on and sliding up and down each time...never completely fallen on it but did slip off a rung once and the klem bit right in.

I'll def check out what I have though...thanks for the heads up!

Something else to check is that some will slip when unloaded. Prusiks and Blakes Hitch don't.
A French Prusik definitely can.

to tell you the truth Saddler...I've had the 11mm rope so long, I don't remember if its static or dynamic, and all my loops are 8mm climbing rope (bought from the same supplier at the same time as the 11mm) with double fishermans...definitely quality kernmantle. never had a problem with the loops or the ropes glazing, (for years I've been tying the line above my stand all the way to the ground and tying the klemheist on and sliding up and down each time...never completely fallen on it but did slip off a rung once and the klem bit right in.

Just remember to always test your friction knots on the ground before going in the air, If you get new ropes try them out first before climbing to make sure they work in sync.

If you were leading routes on that rope it's dynamic. If you were just toproping it could be static but most likely if someone sold it to you for climbing its dynamic. Either way you'll know pretty quick if you are using it for rope climbing because you'll be bouncing all over the place cussing how much energy your wasting trying to climb. If it's dynamic climbing will be easier with static.

If you were leading routes on that rope it's dynamic. If you were just toproping it could be static but most likely if someone sold it to you for climbing its dynamic. Either way you'll know pretty quick if you are using it for rope climbing because you'll be bouncing all over the place cussing how much energy your wasting trying to climb. If it's dynamic climbing will be easier with static.

so...DIY..is one recommended over the other for a tether? (dynamic vs static?) I wont be climbing with it....going up with a linemans and leverage steps and tying off with the tether (and maybe even a secondary tether with the RC harness as backup until I get more confident.

I've done both top rope and trad climbs with multi-pitch. but never lead climbed. to much of a noob with that too. lol

so...DIY..is one recommended over the other for a tether? (dynamic vs static?) I wont be climbing with it....going up with a linemans and leverage steps and tying off with the tether (and maybe even a secondary tether with the RC harness as backup until I get more confident.

I've done both top rope and trad climbs with multi-pitch. but never lead climbed. to much of a noob with that too. lol
Static

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

X2 on the static. I am hard pressed to tell you which knot to use for your friction hitch. Because it can change depending on what combination of rope and prusik cord you use. For Simplicity you can't beat a good old-fashioned 3 wrap prusik. If you choose the right cord releasing a standard prusik shouldn't be a problem and you can't load it backward. I personally used the distal hitch because it's easier to tend upward and that's where I have most problems when adjusting my tether. Experiment with different knots and find what works best for you. Just Follow The Immortal words of the Beastie Boys and keep it low and slow.

X2 on the static. I am hard pressed to tell you which knot to use for your friction hitch. Because it can change depending on what combination of rope and prusik cord you use. For Simplicity you can't beat a good old-fashioned 3 wrap prusik. If you choose the right cord releasing a standard prusik shouldn't be a problem and you can't load it backward. I personally used the distal hitch because it's easier to tend upward and that's where I have most problems when adjusting my tether. Experiment with different knots and find what works best for you. Just Follow The Immortal words of the Beastie Boys and keep it low and slow.

that is the tempo, right?

call any man a friend who references the Beasties. lol

I was just looking at the distel on grogs and it looks like it might be a bit of chore to dress the knot so the loop ends are loaded evenly?? but I guess maybe no more or less than dressing the klemheist making sure all the lays are right and even.

I use klemheist for my linemans belt as well and never had it slip when unloaded (accept mechanically when I shoved it up the rope, lol) I almost ordered more rope yesterday...but I think my wife is watching the credit card. he he he

that is the tempo, right?

call any man a friend who references the Beasties. lol

I was just looking at the distel on grogs and it looks like it might be a bit of chore to dress the knot so the loop ends are loaded evenly?? but I guess maybe no more or less than dressing the klemheist making sure all the lays are right and even.

I use klemheist for my linemans belt as well and never had it slip when unloaded (accept mechanically when I shoved it up the rope, lol) I almost ordered more rope yesterday...but I think my wife is watching the credit card. he he he
Dressing a distel is much easier than you would think to dress properly. With as much as I climb to hunt I already had more experience with rope systems in a hunting season than some rock climbers will get in 3-4years of climbing. You'll get plenty of repetitions in in just a couple weeks of hunting and you'll have it tied before you even remember starting.

Back